Is my crab molting?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
ShellCrab

Is my crab molting?

Post by ShellCrab » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:04 pm

My smallest crab, Firecracker, went down under the shells this morning. We have, like, two and a half to three inches of substrate in our tank. He/she has about an inch to a half substrate above him/her and hasn't moved. I just set up a sort of an isolatin tank, but I'm not sure if he's molting or not. I haven't lifted the tank to see if I can see him from the bottom.

The thing is, the two molts I've had (both successful) have both been surface molts. I think I couldn't isolate them in time because I didn't know if they were molting or not. Firecracker has already had one molt with me, not that long ago. Maybe a few months. I don't want him/her to have to go through that again, and the substrate is much deeper in the isolation tank.

Should I isolate him/her, or just let him/her be?
Seven purple pinchers: Pineapple, Pearl, Firecracker, Coconut, Swirly, Snowflake, and Crabaroo!

Anorable

Re: Is my crab molting?

Post by Anorable » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:56 pm

iso is only recommended when you've got a sick or injured crab or if you've got another crab that you know is aggressive and will dig up a molter and eat them.

i've just had my first successful molt in my tank with my 3 medium E's (i've got the substrate at five inches, just over twice as high as my largest crab)

Topic author
ShellCrab

Post by ShellCrab » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:37 am

Update!
Firecracker changed shells last night!!!! That's the third shell change!!! My crab, Pineapple, changed then went back to his/her old one.

So I have this crab, Pearl, at least twice the size of little Firecracker. He/she is newish so I don't know if he/she would dig up a crab. Pineapple molted with him/her in the tank, But I had a plasic cup with no bottom over him. And (as I mentioned) it was a surface molt where I could watch him.

What do you think? Am I just a little stressed?
Seven purple pinchers: Pineapple, Pearl, Firecracker, Coconut, Swirly, Snowflake, and Crabaroo!

Anorable

Post by Anorable » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:20 am

^ as to that, i can't really say, i'll let another more experienced crabber answer that.

but you said you've had two surface molts already, what are the conditions like in your tank? (Temp, humidity, substrate: type, consistency, depth in relation to your largest crab, etc.

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:47 pm

If you are worried about the crab up top digging up a molter the best thing you can do it be sure to feed it lots of protein and minerals, plus fruits. If it has lots of food available they are less likely to go looking for an easy meal. That said, I'd keep an eye on things.
Owner of 4 PPs

Topic author
ShellCrab

Post by ShellCrab » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:28 am

Thanks!

Yesterday, Firecracker buried himself. Then at night, he came up and switched back into his old shell. I think he's buried.

About the surface molts, the first time we just didn't have enough substrate. The second time, I didn't know the crab was molting untilhe began shedding his exo. AHHHH!!! I thought he was DYING! I do NOT want to make that mistake again.

About the tank conditions, I recently perfected them (on Sunday).

Temperature: 76-77 degrees

Humidity: 70-85%

Substrate: About 3-4 inches in the main tank, and about 5-6 in the iso, it's Eco Earth, the same depth through the entire tank, would cover most of my largest crab's shell (main tank) and leave about an inch on top of smallest (Firecracker)

I'll be sure to give them a high protein diet!!!!

Anorable

Post by Anorable » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:37 am

Ohh, three rough.
But since your tank conditions are fine then I wouldn't worry too much about him when he's under.

And s for the protein, for my crabs chicken bone marrow was a hit. i rinsed of a leg bone and smashed it under a paper towel and laid it out so they could get at the good bits.

Topic author
ShellCrab

Post by ShellCrab » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 am

Thanks so much!

Firecracker buried himself under the shell shop. The crabs that go there could just be looking at the new shells I just put in, or they could be disturbing Firecracker. He/she is currently under some shells.

I gave them some scrambled egg, and I'll be sure to try the marrow. :)