Is an Iso tank necessary?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Happy Crabber

Is an Iso tank necessary?

Post by Happy Crabber » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:07 pm

My daughter (5) and I are new to hermit crabs, and are getting our crabitat all set up. We are going to get a bigger tank this weekend (10 gallon) and I'm wondering if I should keep the plastic one we have now for an iso, or return it for a refund. Do most of you feel that if the sand/ee is deep enough, you don't need an iso? It would be great if we didn't need to have one. We dont have any extra space. I guess I'm still a little unsure of the molting process. I don't want anyone getting eaten up.

Thanks!
AKA: hermitmommy
PP: Scieny, Hermione, Hermasaurus Rex, Kitty, Cat, Twyla, Jupiter
E: Lilly McDiggington, Thunder, Lightening, Pocito Tito, Universe, Dawn
Mom to 2 great little kids, and wife to a very understanding hubby

ReptileLover1

Re: Is an Iso tank necessary?

Post by ReptileLover1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:41 pm

I fell that if you have enough substrate you do not need an iso (but you need to be willing if an injury or you get a new crab with mites to buy a tank to iso). Just make sure your substrate is 3x as deep as your biggest crab (at least 2x)
I got my first crab in the summer of 2011. I now have 11 crabs!
I have 7 PPs and 4 Es! They are in a 40b.
I also have a pacman frog(Dewey), 2 Cats (Cinder, and Sherlock), And as a family we have 3 dogs ( Daisy, Coco, and Gizmo!)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:46 pm

I think it's always a good idea to have a container handy where you can move a crab in the event of an emergency or a tank clean. (Having to resort to Tupperware is never the answer. Sand scratches it to bits! :lol: ) As long as you have something you can use in a pinch it doesn't have to be the old cage. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Silver Buttons

Post by Silver Buttons » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Definitely keep that extra plastic tank! You never know when a crab will get sick and you'll need to isolate it from the others. I have one that, I think, is about a two-gallon size, maybe a bit smaller. It's a plastic thing that's intended for small rodents, I guess (there's a circular place in the lid that can be removed for attaching those plastic climbing tubes). Anyway, it is currently holding Jasper, whom I found nude a few days ago. I also have a small plastic "critter cage" that I intend to use as a transport box when I get more hermit crabs (through adoptions, as I don't want to encourage pet stores).
My DeviantArt account
~*~*~*~~*~*~
My 2 PPs: Beatrix & Jasper. ^_^

alkg37

Post by alkg37 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:26 pm

I have never used an iso tank for anything except having somewhere to put the crabbies in when I'm deep cleaning, and as something for my son to take a couple to school in for show and tell. I keep the tank moist, have plenty of substrate, and they all just dig in and molt in there. I just don't freak out over molting. As long as they have enough protein and calcium, I don't worry about cannibalism. They've been going strong for a a few years now.
We have 1 dog, 2 giant african millepedes, a ball python, a fish, 7 beautiful fluffy pet chickens, 8 PP's, and 4 E's. Chickens and crabs should NOT play together.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:53 pm

An iso isn't just good for molting though. If you ever have a fight or an attack, or a streaker, it's a good idea to have someplace where you can put them so that they're safe from other crabs who might take advantage of an easy meal.

Topic author
Happy Crabber

Post by Happy Crabber » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks everyone. I've decided to keep it. I do want to get more crabs (adopt of I can), so it will be good to have.
Related question: I have extra substrate mixed (moist sand/EE) and put I put them in big ziplocks outside. Do you think its OK to keep those for a while and just use when necessary? Will they mold or anything?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:47 pm

It will mold and it could also grow harmful bacteria if kept moist and sealed. (Wet, dark, warm, and no oxygen leads to bad things.) If it's completely dry before you pack it up it will last a while if kept someplace cool and dry. Otherwise freezing it would be the best way of keeping it fresh. :)

Topic author
Happy Crabber

Post by Happy Crabber » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:45 pm

does that hold true even if it is moistened with the salt water?

kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:14 pm

ya I would put it in a sealed bag in the freezer too.