Stuck Crab? [she didnt make it]

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

YYWW

Re: Stuck Crab? [she didnt make it]

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:34 am

If the sand in her shell was hard (you know how salt in a jar gets hard and clumpy, and you have to break it apart to turn back loose and powdery) then it makes sense that the calcisand trapped her and dried her out.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:46 am

Oh, I with I had used play sand!! :(
Why did her body fall apart?

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:14 pm

She could have been super stressed and struggled, dropping limbs to help herself free. She could also have been soft from a molt during her struggle.
Do not despair, you poor crabber Now you know for sure that hermit crab marketing is a farce! Spread the word so we can save more crabs!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:25 pm

What's weird is all of my painful losses were Ecuadorians. Or was it coincidence that I had the reptile sand for all three? All I know is I will never again get Ecuadorians, I lost 3 Ecuadorians and only 1 purple pincher, so far.

For as excited as I was about hermit crabs, I haven't gotten to experience much joy yet :(

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:07 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:26 pm

Thank you

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:29 pm

So sorry for your loss

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Thank you

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:24 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. But don't lose hope, crabbing is a great joy shared by many of us. If the conditions are right, hermit crabs are an amazing thing to watch and care for, and I see new things every day. :D
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:20 am

Very sorry you had to go through that. We all had our learning spell and had troubles at first. Don't give up.

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:38 am

Thank you, I hope things get better, I have lost a total of 4 crabs, one has been buried for a month, and the other two just love digging. I have yet to have a crab bury, molt, and come back up :( . I have only been crabbing for 4 months.

I hope Snap, my small crab who has been buried a month, will come up soon.

Thank you for your support,
Bonnie

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:20 pm

Have you solved the calcium sand problem yet? It would be necessary to stress crabs for the sake of saving the rest of them, in this situation.

Crabbers unite!!!

Hamilation

Post by Hamilation » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:57 pm

In reply to YYWW, you said that it would be better to teach stores how to look after crabs and spend a little more money on getting proper substrate, or something like that, and I completely agree. As you would already know, I am going to apply for a job at multiple pet stores which all stock hermit crabs and hermit crab accessories. If I get in, I'll be prepared to be the hermit crab expert and teaching other employees what I know about hermit crabs and how to take after them. I'll also be willing to spend my own personal money on buying them proper substrate and play equipment. Although I'm not allowed to change how many crabs they have in their tank, if they have enough to climb on and substrate, it should make a significant impact. If I do make it to a pet store and start doing this, I might be able to go around to the other locations of the same store and teach them how to properly take care of hermit crabs, I might also be able to convince the managers that if we spend a little more money on getting the right substrate and everything for the crabs then it would increase the health and sales of the crabs. If all that goes to plan, or maybe even if it doesn't, I'm going to try and go to as many pet stores as I can and teach them how to take care of hermit crabs.

I know I'm a little ambitious and all of this would probably take place of the course of some years, but I will not give up and try my best so that the crabbers of Australia do not get taught incorrect information about how to take care of crabs. I really do want to make a difference.
Start using the #HermitCrabAssociation whenever you post something about your crabs on Facebook or Twitter :D

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:07 am

YYWW wrote:Have you solved the calcium sand problem yet? It would be necessary to stress crabs for the sake of saving the rest of them, in this situation.

Crabbers unite!!!
Yes, she was the only one in that tank, my other tank has 6 inches of play sand.

Hamilation- Good luck on getting the position, hopefully your work will spread far and we will have multiple pet stores with good conditions :)