If you don't believe in miracles, read this

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
jarteta97

If you don't believe in miracles, read this

Post by jarteta97 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:53 am

Amazing. Unbelievable. Miracle. about 3 months ago, I built the 90 gallon tank I have now and transferred all the crabs over except one who was still molting. She had already been down about 1/2 a month. As the weeks passed by, and she failed to surface, I became more and more worried that she hadn't made it. About a month ago I deemed her dead. The entire time, the tank was being used for cricket breeding. This morning, I looked in the tank, still nothing. While talking on the phone, I glance in the tank, and lo and behold, there she is. She pulled off a 3 1/2 month stint underground. She's thin and missing her BP, but she's walking around normally, and she's been eating some raspberries in the tank. Right now she's in a little hideaway depression on the coco fiber side, and I'm going to provide more honey and peanut butter to help her out. There's fresh fruit and veggies, and mealworms and cuttlebone, and she has plenty of space and hides, as well as two large pools. My fingers are crossed for the best, and I think she'll make a recovery.

So, if ever you lose hope with a molting crab, just know that sometimes crabs can perform miracles :crabbigsmile:
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Kitten

Re: If you don't believe in miracles, read this

Post by Kitten » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:34 pm

That's awesome! Congrats & good luck on her recovery!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:25 pm

That is so awesome. :)
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:32 pm

Update: She buried down for about and hour to destress. Then she took a dip in the freshwater pool, and climbed a bunch. I also saw her eating too. She's been named Perseverance, Percy for short. :D
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Teedeums

Post by Teedeums » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:33 pm

Perfect name! Congrats on her survival, glad she's doing well! :D
5 PPs; Ghast, Eager, Boomer, Plato, and Indigo
2 Family Dogs; Lilly and Ginger

Have a very crabby day! =D

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:18 am

That is so amazing! That's why I love these guys!

Snickers

Post by Snickers » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Congratz! So cool!
Crabby mom since '11
Snickers, Cleodora, Areo, Caramilk, Turbo, Turbulence, Eyowen, Smarties, Thor, Loki, Odin, Bilbo, Biggie, Alvin, Tiger, Juliette, Rascal and Bermuda!