Ahhh, a successful molt feels satisfying.

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
lessthansign3

Ahhh, a successful molt feels satisfying.

Post by lessthansign3 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:35 am

One of my violas just came up from a successful molt recently, and DANG does it feel good to see him/her again! :crabbigsmile:

He/she (really need to figure out the gender) is big, super colorful, and looking great. I'll get a picture next time I see them out, but it must be nap time because everyone's holed up in the cork log this morning.

Don't you feel really good when your crabs come up? Like, "Hey, even though you did all the hard work, I feel really good about myself!" Maybe it's because I know I am successfully doing a good job keeping my crabs happy and healthy so that they *can* molt... or something like that.

Crabinski

Re: Ahhh, a successful molt feels satisfying.

Post by Crabinski » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:29 pm

lessthansign3 wrote:Don't you feel really good when your crabs come up? Like, "Hey, even though you did all the hard work, I feel really good about myself!" Maybe it's because I know I am successfully doing a good job keeping my crabs happy and healthy so that they *can* molt... or something like that.
Yep, it's always a big thrill when one emerges from a successful molt, all body parts intact, nice hairy legs and sharp nails! Considering the hard job they're doing to molt in "alien" circumstances, I think we should feel happy that we're apparently providing the right foods, substrate and water to help them feel confident enough to go ahead and molt.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster