Chirping a sign?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
me n my hermikids

Chirping a sign?

Post by me n my hermikids » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:37 pm

All 7 of my crabs are undergroud. Some are playing hide and seek (burying for fun or to destress) because they come up at night and eat and wreck the place. Some are molting or have been lost (new ones I rescued were not in good health and burried right away so who knows). The other night I heard what might have been chirping (or maybe just crab versus glass) and I thought ooo how cute. Then today I was reading a thread that said chirping means their cave collapsed and they need saving. Now I am worried. Should I dig? I am afraid of collapsing more caves as best case I have 7 of them down there somewhere.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Re: Chirping a sign?

Post by Crabinski » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:31 pm

If the substrate is the proper consistency, a crab will be able to tunnel its way out. Crabs will also chirp at other crabs if they feel threatened (i.e., someone trying to steal their shell) or if they're feeling "crabby" towards another crab. I often hear chirping coming from the food dish when one crab ousts another that had been peacefully eating.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:36 pm

I once had a tank of 6 molters who chirped and talked to each other underground for a month before they all came up fine. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
me n my hermikids

Post by me n my hermikids » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:39 pm

Ok so no diggy and hope for the best? I do know that one of my biggies made an appearance in the side about halfway up the substrate and he had a nicely formed cave around him. That was 2 days ago. He has been molting for about 4-5 weeks.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk