Back to back molts.

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
courtbri

Back to back molts.

Post by courtbri » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi peeps it's been a very long time. So my Harry recently took a month long molt. He's my favorite so I paid attention. He was up for maybe a week and has been back down for at least 2-3 weeks. Is it uncommon to have a double molt or could there be something wrong?

Crabbing for 2 years-still obsessed! 6 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Back to back molts.

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:41 pm

It's not exactly common, but it happens. My own crabs have done it before - sometimes it's just extra time underground, sometimes it really is another molt.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:08 pm

I've also had crabs do back-to-back molts. Especially new, smaller crabs. I always figured they were playing catch-up. It's part of the reason I prefer medium crabs. The smaller ones can molt so often it's like I never see them. I had a micro once. Until she got to teeny size almost never saw that little thing AT ALL. It was like "what micro?" They are so cute when they are teeny, teeny tiny like that but they don't stay that small for long.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Topic author
courtbri

Post by courtbri » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:32 pm

Ok thanks. I'm just stressing. I've lost crabs before and not had that dead smell and I'm just very worried. I hand feed Harry for a month after a bad molt so we have a bond. He is secretly my favorite but shhhhh the others must not know.

Crabbing for 2 years-still obsessed! 6 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.