Do we have to rethink molt durations?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Re: Do we have to rethink molt durations?

Post by Crab_Coalition » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:41 pm

landlubber wrote:Hmmmm....my guys have always been pretty close to the accepted molting time frames, give or take a week. Every once in a while I have crabs that go quite a bit longer or shorter, but that is not the norm. How interesting that you are having such a different experience. But if the end result in either case is a nice healthy molt, it's all good. :)
Yes, I don;t know of its a group communication thing where they have established so type of secret living order down there or its just a cycle. I wish my cycle was much closer to yours and maybe the next ones will be. I often wondered if I was doing the right thing in regards to temperature, feeding, etc but when they pop up they look like tarantulas LOL so I guess something is right.

I am guess there is a social order down there where they drag food there, make tunnels and wall through those from one end of the tank to the other and also communication and play with each other then in the end go off somewhere private to molt. I have caught a few popping up late at night as if raiding the fridge and a bath then they disappeared by morning. I just had medium crab who just molted pop up for a few days then head back down again...crazy. Maybe they hate me? LOL

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:32 am

marandashermies wrote:crabs will often drink from the glass where humidity has gathered or where you have recently sprayed. They will go to the water when needed. I woke up early this morning and spotted Barnaby in the pool and Burgundy patiently waiting to join him. He saw that I saw him and slowly strutted back to his "day" spot. I was getting worried as he and Burgundy have been in the same spot for like 2 weeks. Well here they WERE sneaking out at night to the pools/food and just going back to the spot in the morning, before I woke up. I threw them off with it being Monday. They thought they had more time to sneak around since I have slept in the last 2 days!

Speaking of holes, there is this one crab in my 125, who I have not seen in the act, but every single night he digs a massive hole in the same spot right at the end of the Cholla, right up against the glass in the front of the tank. He isn't burying there during the day, just digs. Every time I go in to switch food, I push the sand back over the gapping hole, just for the culprit to dig it up the next day! I wish I could see who is doing it, its driving me crazy... :crabblush:

In my 55 they have literally dug out the entire base of the resin tree and stump. Both are currently tipped to the side and are sunken in. I just was in there last week and smoothed everything out and it looked amazing! For 5 minutes. haha

crazy little creatures!
When I was very new to crabbing I was shocked one morning to find this massive sinkhole in my tank that one of my hides had actually fallen into. I only had small crabs at the time. I think it was a group effort!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Post by Crab_Coalition » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:39 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote: When I was very new to crabbing I was shocked one morning to find this massive sinkhole in my tank that one of my hides had actually fallen into. I only had small crabs at the time. I think it was a group effort!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Strange but probably true! LOL

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:49 pm

yah sometimes when i used to have only small crabs they would move big rocks. They had to have been working together because they were all small or micro!
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Post by Crab_Coalition » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:15 am

Ilovehermies74 wrote:yah sometimes when i used to have only small crabs they would move big rocks. They had to have been working together because they were all small or micro!
That's really cool.

Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:08 pm

Mine have never followed the molting time schedule. they are any where from two to three months always.

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Post by Crab_Coalition » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:25 am

Persia352 wrote:Mine have never followed the molting time schedule. they are any where from two to three months always.
Mine are 3-6 months. Go figure. (-: