Most amazing!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Ryry

Most amazing!

Post by Ryry » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:55 pm

Ok so here's a little story with an amazing ending.
I started crabbing back in August/ September last year. I upgraded to my 55gal tank in the beginning of October. When I upgraded I had one original crab and 4 other PPS that I had purchased from a store. Once the new tank was all set up I immediately placed my 5 crabs in the tank. My original guy (Bruce) had been kept in a wire cage for my cousins for an undetermined amount of time. Needless to say I'm sure he was in a bad way. Once he was in the tank he dug immediately down and I have not seen him since.

It has been almost 4 months with no sign of him. Seeing as he was a small crab I had honestly believed that he did not make it.

THEN- a few weeks ago I noticed a crab who didn't look completely familiar. I kept thinking that it was possible that one of my other crabs had changed a bit of color and just looked different to me. But he had a damaged eye.

Yesterday while cleaning my tank I took all my crabs out and to my surprise I had all 10! Since October I have always counted 9 and I had 10! This mystery crab was indeed Bruce! My other crab Sokka who has similar colorings must have dug down for a week or two. Just enough to throw me off, making me think that Bruce was sokka. But now every one is up and I couldn't be happier!!!!

ImageImage
These are pictures of Bruce. He came up In That jade banded turbo and switched to that super large banded turbo just this past week. His right eye is damaged- I'm assuming it happened during his molt. I think he must have gone through quite a few molts trying to get healthy and then fix his eye. It already is looking better! ImageImage

This was just such an unexpected happy ending! Bruce lives!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Crabinski

Re: Most amazing!

Post by Crabinski » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:01 pm

Wonderful news! Nothing feels better than having a "long lost" crab resurface :D .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

HermitsRule101

Post by HermitsRule101 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:23 am

That's wonderful! So glad he finally came up. I had the same thing happen with a fiddler crab. I saw him all over the tank the first day, then nothing for a month. Thought he was dead for sure, but when I moved my crabs into a 40 gallon tank a month later, there he was, under the water dish. He completely ignored the elaborate salt water lake I'd built for him, complete with a coral reef! I rarely see The Boss, but I've learned not to count him out.

Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:37 pm

I know this is an old post but I just love this story! :D

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:03 pm

I just love it when both of my crabs are up. I can clean and change the substrate with no worries!!!!
:cheer:

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:04 pm

And isn't he just a little cutie!!!!! :clap: :clap: