Crab surface molting or dead?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Boshia

Crab surface molting or dead?

Post by Boshia » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:08 pm

I got a teeny/small crab 9 days ago, he was clinging to the sponge in the tank at the shop. I noticed that a leg or two had the bottom sections missing. He never moved a lot, never went to the food or water and the past five days he's been in the same spot. No movement. I picked him up two days ago and he seemed stiff, he didn't retract into the shell and just kind of shifted as I turned it. He has play sand 6" deep, humidity 85% and the temp is in the 80's. I sniffed him and I smelled something, but I'm not sure if it's just humid crab smell or death smell. He dug a shallow pit under a leaf in the tank, I just put him back. Do crabs that are molting become paralyzed, to where they won't move even when I pick up/turn the shell? It was unsettling seeing his whole body shift like that when I turned the shell. I know not to pick him up anymore, at the moment I'm just keeping up with the tank, still misting and changing out the food and water. How long should I wait to see if he is dead or just molting? Do all crabs that are dead give off the death smell? He isn't in danger of being attacked, as his future tank mates haven't come up from the temp tank yet. Should I keep the tank on a 12 hour day/night cycle, or black it out? Any advice?
Some pictures of him the day I got him, just because he's cute:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

WinkyCrab

Re: Crab surface molting or dead?

Post by WinkyCrab » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:19 pm

I'm by no means an expert, but when crabs molt they do become slightly less active and sluggish. The cause of him just sitting there not moving might have been him de stressing. New crabs usually will molt soon after coming into the new tank from the store, since they are usually in bad shape and can't molt in bad pet store conditions. However, surface molts are generally bad, and if the crab smells, it's really not good. Make sure the crab is in darkness, and try and safely ISO it if you can. Don't bury the crab, when they molt they make an air tunnel that can't be remade. I would wait and see if the smell gets worse or if he buries down more. I hope it turns out ok, he is a cute little crab!

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:08 pm

IMO it sounds like a case of PPS. I have posted the link below;

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 67&t=92531

I have had several pet shop crabs go through this and have done exactly what you are describing. I wish I could say they made it, but they didn't. Sorry you are dealing with this. It can be very hard. :( He is adorable BTW! It is an uneasy felling when they shift in the shells, I know exactly what you are talking about. I would just let him be and if he is passed, you will smell rotten fish, its really an unmistakable smell. Unfortunately, these crabs go through so much before they end up in our tanks, and sometimes its just too much for them. Don't be discouraged though. PPS is unavoidable, all you can do is just have the proper conditions and hope for the best. It is important to have a day/night cycle for the crabs as they are getting acclimated to their new home. Hopefully your little buddy beats the odds and pulls through for you! :luck::

Also, below is our help template. If you can fill that out, we can make sure everything is set up correctly!

What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Topic author
Boshia

Post by Boshia » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Thanks, I'll fill out the form later, I can't copy it on the Tapatalk app for some reason. I'll post a picture of the setup though, I have read through all of the care threads on here so I feel confident I have everything right(would definitely love to upgrade to a bigger tank though). So, until I smell something fishy I should keep the daylight cycle going, but still cover him? Or should I just completely black it out in case he's trying to molt? Which of these should I do to increase his chances of survival, if he is alive?
PPS sounds likely now that I think of it, the place I got him from had a dusting of calcium sand, pellets as food and only a slightly moist sponge. Plus, there was no lid for any heat retention or humidity at all.

nancat

Post by nancat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:39 pm

You have a really nice crabitat setup, I hope he or she pulls through!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud mama of:
4 cats: Spike, Smokey, Nina, and Fishybelly
Hermit crabs: Kimi, Dirk, Speedy, Little E, Big P

Topic author
Boshia

Post by Boshia » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:08 pm

Just wanted to update that I think he's passed, the smell isn't right when you open the tank but I just sniffed him and he does smell fishy. Not responding when I touch his claw. Is it time to throw in the towel?

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:48 pm

Yes. :(

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above