Pics. Really Worried... How Long Is This Going To Take?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Jemnem6

Re: Pics. Really Worried... How Long Is This Going To Take?

Post by Jemnem6 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:05 pm

yes but less transparent.

Here's a pic.
Do you see the bubble on the side? I don't know what that is... but I'm pretty sure she's dead :( I really loved her too. One day she was in the glass and I went up to it, at eye level with her, and put my finger up to the glass and she walked over and put her antennas up to my finger and then she started to try to like climb the glass with her legs and it was so cute. I loved her, I always had her back since she was weaker than the other guys since she lost her leg and all.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
My Hermit Crab Blog: http://hermitcrab-freak.tumblr.com

22 PP's: Skadoosh, Curly, Lucy, Moe, Ester, Briere, Rinaldo, Bryz, Brayden, Talbot, Pedriza, Keira, Jagr, Rocky Bo, Pinecone, Mason, Wayne, Spruce, Raffl, Moose, Junio, Shiloh.
2 E's: Kimo & Giroux.

kuza

Post by kuza » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:42 am

I'm not experienced enough to tell you what that is, but it doesn't look good. If you pick up the shell does she just fall out? And there's no smell?

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:20 am

Looks like she is dead. :( Very sorry.
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

Topic author
Jemnem6

Post by Jemnem6 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:40 am

:( Yesterday I buried her in my backyard. I wish she could of had a chance to meet the new crabs and the new cage.

22 PP's: Skadoosh, Curly, Lucy, Moe, Ester, Briere, Rinaldo, Bryz, Brayden, Talbot, Pedriza, Keira, Jagr, Rocky Bo, Pinecone, Mason, Wayne, Spruce, Raffl, Moose, Junio, Shiloh.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Okay; the important thing is that if you have new crabs and a new set-up, you need to make sure that you are taking proper care of them so that they do not also die. First of all, you should be aware that if you DO take proper care of them, they could live for 30 to 40 YEARS and grow to be the size of baseballs. You need to plan ahead for their growth; but don't worry, if you did not realize they would live that long, and if you do get tired of them at some point, you can post them for adoption right here on the board and find an excellent home for them.

While you are keeping them, several things are essential:

1) Tank or Terrarium: I'm not sure what you mean by "cage," but they must have a place to live that will allow you to keep their environment at the proper temperature and humidity for their species. A wire or plastic cage with lots of slots or openings is no good; you need some kind of tank (like a glass aquarium). You will need a lid of some sort, to keep heat and humidity in. You will need to allow for air flow, to keep stale air from settling at the bottom of the tank; they need fresh air to come in and that stale air to be moved OUT, regularly. A small fan (like a laptop fan) in the tank, pulling some fresh air in and pushing the stale air out, can be good, or you can install a humidifier to push fresh, humidified air into the tank, which (if you have it pumping in near the bottom) will encourage the stale air to be pumped out. Until you can rig something like that up, you can just take the lid off and fan the tank vigorously a few times a day for air exchange, but you will lose some heat and a good bit of humidity that way, so you will need to make sure you have good ways to replace both of these after each fanning session.

2) Temperature and Humidity: For PP's, which are the most common kind of hermit crab sold in the U.S., you need the temperature to be around 80 degrees Fahrenheit during the day. It can drop to about 75 degrees at night, but should not go any lower than that, and should not get above about 85 degrees during the day. Either too hot or too cold can cause illness and eventually death. Ways to heat the tank include heat lamps and UTH's (under-tank heaters). If you use a UTH, for hermit crabs you do not put it UNDER the tank, you put it on the side or back. Putting it above the level of the substrate (sand) is probably best, so you don't have to worry about excessive drying of the substrate, or about potential cracking of the glass when you re-moisten the substrate.

Humidity needs to be around 80% relative humidity; it can vary a LITTLE on either side of that, but if it is too low OR too high, they will suffocate. Ways to help keep humidity include keeping substrate moist (and initially moistening it with some salt water), having moss pits or natural sea sponges in the tank, and having a humidifier in the tank and/or air bubblers in the water sources.

You must have both temperature and humidity gauges that you can trust to give you reliable readings. Because these two factors are so critical for hermit crab health, you need to calibrate your humidity gauge (you can find instructions for how to do that here on the board), and it is a good idea to double check your thermometer with another thermometer, to make sure it is reading correctly, as well.

3) Crabs need substrate that is safe and appropriate for them, deep enough for them, and moist enough for them. Regular play sand is the cheapest substrate, you can get it at any Home Depot or Lowe's or other hardware store like that, for 3 or 4 dollars for a great big bag (50 pounds). The calci-sand sold in pet stores is not good for hermit crabs, plus it is ridiculously more expensive. Make sure your sand is at least twice as deep as your biggest crab (3 times is even better). The sand also needs to be damp enough to hold its shape, like you could build a sand castle with it. If you stick your finger down into the sand, the hole your finger leaves should just stay there (but there should be NO water pooling at the bottom of the hole). When you first moisten the sand, it is a good idea to use some sea water (mixed up at less of a concentration than you would give them for their regular sea water); then after that, you should moisten with fresh water (so that salt levels in the sand do not build up too high).

Keeping the sand properly deep and moist both helps maintain humidity in the tank, and also allows for the crabs to tunnel down under the sand to molt, which is an essential process for them to live and grow.

4) Water sources: Crabs need both fresh water and sea water (marine salt water), in deep enough dishes that they can submerge their shells, but with some kind of way to climb OUT of the dishes (because they can drown if under water too long). Both sources of water must be dechlorinated (because chlorine will cause their gills to blister and eventually kill them). You can buy filtered or distilled water, or you can use a dechlorinator from the fish section of your pet store. For the marine salt water, you need to buy a mix like "Instant Ocean" or "Oceanic," from the marine fish section of the pet store.

5) Food: Some of the "hermit crab food" stuff sold in pet stores is actually harmful to the crabs. FMR brand is generally considered safe, but they need more than that to really be healthy. They need fresh fruits and vegetables and protein sources. You can look in the "food and water" forum here on the board for lots of ideas of good stuff to feed them, and for lists of things that are not safe for them to eat.

It can seem really overwhelming when you are just getting started, especially since a lot of what the pet store people tell you is mistaken or just plain wrong. If anything is confusing or unclear, just post a question, any time. There are lots of really helpful people here, many of whom have been keeping crabs for many years. Best wishes!
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
Jemnem6

Post by Jemnem6 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks! In the new tank (a 20 gallon glass tank) I have 3 inches of EE mixed with calcium sand and then 2 inches of play sand also. I have a humidity and heat gauge. I have 2 humidifiers, one is home-made, and I also have a bubbler. I have both fresh and marine salt water for them, lots of shells and some logs. I give them veggies and other hermit crab food from the hermit crab patch and things like that. I have a heater, and also a day and night light above the tank, I'm not sure if it heats the tank though. I spray them daily and take them out a few times a week. They have little calcium bones they chew on. The only problem is before I had a 10 gallon tank and the humidity was always at 80% and with the larger tank it's hard to keep it, but I just spray them often. Also my house is super cold, and I try to keep the temperature up as much as I can. The lowest it goes to is 70. I'm hoping though with Spring coming, it will go up.
Thanks for all the info!

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:22 pm

It sounds like you are providing for them fairly well. I'm not sure what you mean by "I spray them"--do you mean you spray the tank to increase humidity, or that you spray the crabs themselves? It is not recommended to spray the crabs themselves.

To increase humidity in your larger tank, do the initial moistening with slightly-less-salty sea water; salt helps to maintain humidity. After that, though, when you need to spray or add water to the substrate, just use freshwater, because you don't want the salt levels to get too high in the substrate. And you might want to think about adding a moss pit; several people have posted that their humidity problems were solved when they did that.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
Jemnem6

Post by Jemnem6 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:20 pm

I actually have some moss and have never used it. I was worried it would attract bugs and things and infest my tank.
And by spray I spray both the tank and the crabs. I never knew you weren't supposed to spray them though. They always seem to love it.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:46 pm

If you soak the moss in salt water, it should not infest the tank in any way. Just make sure it is not dyed or treated in any way; get the terrarium moss or beaked moss from the pet store, or there are a couple of other types that are safe; check on the board for others' recommendations. Most of the more experienced crabbers say never to spray the crabs themselves; it is fine to spray the substrate to keep it moist, but always make sure it is with dechlorinated water. Oh, I also noted that you said you only have 2-3 inches of substrate. You need your substrate to be at least 2 (preferably 3) times the height of your largest crab, so unless your crabs are very, very small, you probably need deeper substrate than that. 2 to 3 times the height of your largest crab will give them enough depth to tunnel under for a safe molt when they need to.

― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
Jemnem6

Post by Jemnem6 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:53 am

Alright. And yeah, my other problem WAS sand. But I found out I can use play sand now and so I now I just added a lot more and have a little over 5 inches of substrate. I sprinkled the expensive 2 lb bags of calcium sand on top so they're still getting calcium from the sand though.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:51 pm

That's great. Sounds like you are really getting things worked out.

For future reference, you can also give them calcium in other ways, like cuttlebones (usually found in the bird section of a pet store) or egg shells (you can boil an egg and give them some of the shell, and for that matter, you can give them some of the boiled egg, too!).

― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
Jemnem6

Post by Jemnem6 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Okay, I will give it to them sometime. Thanks!