Just wanted to share.

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Ryry

Just wanted to share.

Post by Ryry » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:27 pm

I have 5 PPs and one of my newer crabs has been down to molt since day two or three. He stuffed his face for two nights and I saw where he dug down but now I am pretty sure he must be molting.
I guess I just am worried because this is my first molt. I know not to disturb him but I have this sick curiosity... I just would like to have laser vision and peek in at him... He was a medium sized crab if I recall correctly, so I know he could b down there for a while. Just being a worry wart I guess. But I just wish I knew if he was ok.
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Ellysara

Re: Just wanted to share.

Post by Ellysara » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Yep, it's definitely the hardest part. It will be so worth it when he comes up though!
9 PPs: Rocky, Bullwinkle, Jackie, Tatiana, Claudette, Shy-Guy, Simon and two not yet named.
2 house rabbits: Yojimbo and Nikki
1 axolotl: Birdo
2 cats: Leo and Maya

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:10 pm

I was on edge the entire time my first crab molted. She was down for a month and the whole time I just knew she wouldn't make it. But then one night I went to check on her and there she was! Just looking at me all pretty and peachy like "umm... What do you want?" It's nerve racking that first molt. But hang in there, they know what they're doing and as long as you've given him the right conditions I'm sure he'll come out one handsome crab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks for the good thoughts. I know it's just a waiting game, it's normally not a hardship for me to be patient but I'm just worried lol. It I'll be a great treat to see him come up :)
All kinds of crabby!

moonbeam

Just wanted to share.

Post by moonbeam » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Haha I wish I was good at being patient. Having a two year old is definitely teaching me a lot of lessons in that regard. Then again I guess our crabs help teach us patience too. It's normal to worry. It means you care :) can't wait for pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:35 pm

I can't wait to be able to snap some shots when he finally comes up!!
All kinds of crabby!

Topic author
Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:48 pm

You will never believe how lucky I am! I know my larger medium crab Epic is probably molting. He dug down October 18th so I expect him to be down there for a while- and I've been nail biting hoping that he's ok in there and didn't die from pps.
Then tonight I did my usual creep around the tank to see who's up, who's eating, if anyone swapped shells sort of thing. And I noticed a white glow in my sub about halfway down in a corner. I knew epic had dug down in that corner so I shined a little light in there to peek real quick and sure enough it was him! He looks like he's moving around in his little cave and happened to dig right up to the glass! Even if he covers it back up at least I know he is down there alive and diggin!!
All kinds of crabby!