Fresh new Molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Thardyrn

Fresh new Molt

Post by Thardyrn » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:57 am

Image.

If u look close U can see the crabbies exoskeleton ! Does anyone know how long it takes them to eat that and do they finish the whole thing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megmaholm

Re: Fresh new Molt

Post by megmaholm » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:19 pm

That's weird he left a window while molting. They need to be in the dark when they molt, so if you can I'd tape something over his window to give him some peace and quiet. :)

Depending on the size of the crab, he can finish up pretty quickly or take a while. Each crab is different. They usually eat almost all the exo, sometimes leaving a few leg tips here and there.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
Thardyrn

Post by Thardyrn » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:13 pm

He's really not covered that much on too anymore ! He was. But now not so much but he's covered with a bushel of plants and doesn't seem to be done either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thermidor

Post by thermidor » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:24 am

Is that the exo or the pale new crab? I am dying to have one molt by the glass like that, so I can cover it and make a peeking window. It would be fascinating to observe the entire process.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:28 am

thermidor wrote:Is that the exo or the pale new crab? I am dying to have one molt by the glass like that, so I can cover it and make a peeking window. It would be fascinating to observe the entire process.
It isn't a good thing at all for the window during molt because of the need for darkness. Without the dark it can stop the molt or cause other complications. It cod cause death. There is a post on here of one molting on the surface. I don't know where it is but hopefully someone can post it on here so you can see.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:58 pm

thermidor wrote:Is that the exo or the pale new crab? I am dying to have one molt by the glass like that, so I can cover it and make a peeking window. It would be fascinating to observe the entire process.
We lost a crab because his window wasn't covered during a molt. Please get some cardboard and tape it over the window. They have to have complete pitch black darkness for the hormones to work properly. When they go underground in the wild there is no way for light to get to them so they are able to molt successfully.