New crabs may be molting?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
CrabbyPatchKids

New crabs may be molting?

Post by CrabbyPatchKids » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:40 pm

I had gotten new hermit crabs a little over a week ago, Wednesday will be two weeks. The second day they dug themselves down and I didn't want to go looking for them to make them comfortable. I know they can be down there a while whether or not they are molting but I'm not sure if they are in fact molting. I want to look for them to see what is going on but I'm worried I may bother them. I'm also worried they may have died down there since I know that happens. What should I do?

pearl29mi

Re: New crabs may be molting?

Post by pearl29mi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Leave them, it may take them a really long time to molt depending on the size. If you bother them it might stress them out more. I've heard many people say that when their new crabs first arrive they will start molting or de-stressing. They crabs should be fine :)
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi and welcome to HCA! New crabs often dig down to molt and destress. They can be down for anywhere from a few weeks to three months depending on size. Don't ever dig for a buried crab unless there is an emergency such as a flood or wrong substrate (calcium sand).
Here are the links to our crab care guides:
viewtopic.php?t=92457

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

lemonlimebitters

Post by lemonlimebitters » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:39 am

im in a similar situation. i have just purchased three new crabs, almost a week ago. one buried itself within an hour, and still no sign of him. another was buried for two days. fingers crossed our crabbies are just healthily molting

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:08 pm

One of my first crabs stayed mostly buried for three weeks; I only saw him out two or three times. Then he went down for a molt that lasted five weeks. I moved him to the bigger tank and I haven't seen him since. The other of my originals has been out regularly until a week and a half or so ago. They just need time to do their crabby thing on their own schedule.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:47 pm

I just had a little girl resurface after a month. She had gone down the day after I got her. She came up all fuzzy and with a new leg the night before last. Give them time. Messing with them is super dangerous and can be fatal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Kleinerhejhog wrote:One of my first crabs stayed mostly buried for three weeks; I only saw him out two or three times. Then he went down for a molt that lasted five weeks. I moved him to the bigger tank and I haven't seen him since. The other of my originals has been out regularly until a week and a half or so ago. They just need time to do their crabby thing on their own schedule.
Sometimes we get the crabs that just like to be underground. I had one that I hardly ever saw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above