Possible Molter and Digging

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Persia352

Possible Molter and Digging

Post by Persia352 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:19 am

Hello Everyone!

I am brand new to the forum and have a question. I have a rescue who may be possibly molting as of today. However he is not dug down very far in the substrate. My question is will he be safe. One of my PP's was starting to dig down right above him and that has me worried. He has been tanking up as well on food so I was not sure if he was digging to tunnel down to molt or actually trying to get to the crab. They are fed good quality Natural Foods and plenty of Protein. Neither Crab has EVER been aggressive and they both have molted twice with me. I have two PP's prior to this rescue and I have been a Crab owner for two years.

pearl29mi

Re: Possible Molter and Digging

Post by pearl29mi » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:37 am

Welcome to the HCA

If I were in your position I would quickly remove the hermit crab that is digging towards the molting crab and cut a soda bottle and place it over the molting crab so no crab will be able to reach him/her.
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:37 am

Hi! If your tank has plenty of substrate and you've had the crabs for two years and no molting issues, it isn't necessary to isolate them. A lot of times crabs will dig down at the same time, but if they have enough room they'll be in totally different spots. It's really only necessary to isolate a crab if it is having a surface molt, or ill/injured. Digging is normal and natural and the second crab could just be digging for the sake of digging, not molting.
Would you mind filling this out so we have a better idea of your conditions, since you're new?
viewtopic.php?t=46102

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:32 am

Hello!

I just wanted to let everyone know that my newest was just hiding out! Lol He was in an ISO Tank for 6 weeks before I put him in with the others. He had dug completely under the whole time Is it possible for a Hermit crab to molt and not leave any Exo at all? His big Pincher was still slightly pink when he had surfaced in Iso so I was just curious!
Thanks a million for the warm welcome and all the help! I try and research as much on my own as possible but I don't always have an answer!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:51 am

It is possible. I have found leg tips and part if a bp whenever I have found anything left over but me finding leftovers is only when I have had someone molt in iso or a deep tank clean. Even then, very little.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above