Digger or molting??

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
OkiProcoJ

Digger or molting??

Post by OkiProcoJ » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:49 am

Hello fellow hermit lovers! I have a recently rescued land hermit crab named Proco. Since I have had him he has been the most outgoing of the three I have. Always crawling around and investigating his home. I have had him only two weeks. For about four days he has been digging down deep enough to be completely covered. The first time I saw this I just covered him thinking it was a molt. But he came up the next night. He keeps digging every night now. I say night because I have a second shift job so I get to see the activity. They have a moon glow bulb that keeps my 40 gal tank at about 71degrees F. The humidity is around 75. My question is,does he just like to dig, is in distress or thinking of molting? He changed shells 5 days after coming home and his eyes are clear. I feel like I'm being the over protective mom but I just don't want him disturbed during a molt. Thank you for any help

CallaLily

Re: Digger or molting??

Post by CallaLily » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:51 am

He may be digging just to dig or prepping for a molt. The other thing is your temp is a little low and I'm guessing maybe drops even more at night? Safe range for PPs is 75-85F, though most recommend to keep it right around 80F because that's where more activity is seen. Bump the temp up and see if that helps at all.

Topic author
OkiProcoJ

Re: Digger or molting??

Post by OkiProcoJ » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:17 pm

Thank you! Yea the temp has dropped. I originally had a 20 gal tank and that held the temp at 80. I on my way to the store now to get them some heat :)