is it safe to move a molter's tat?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
broke669

is it safe to move a molter's tat?

Post by broke669 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:34 pm

hi,
i have a 10gallon tat with one crab in it who's down for a molt. he's been down for about 15 days now. he's a small/medium size and is my first crab i've ever had. it's also his first molt (with me). i assume he's going to be down for a while longer, since he's a bit on the bigger size, and he was missing about 3 legs prior to his molt.
my question is: is it safe to move his tat (with him in it)? i'm going on holiday in about 3 weeks, and the plan (prior to him going down) was to take the tat to someone to have it looked after. now i'm worried that moving the tat might disturb the molter.
any ideas/suggestions?

soilentgringa

Re: is it safe to move a molter's tat?

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:51 pm

You'll have to dig, unfortunately. There's really no safe way to move a tank with molters down.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
broke669

Post by broke669 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:50 pm

soilentgringa wrote:You'll have to dig, unfortunately. There's really no safe way to move a tank with molters down.

oh dear i was hoping i'd be able to avoid that. ok, any advice on how to go about that in the safest way possible?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:09 pm

broke669 wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:You'll have to dig, unfortunately. There's really no safe way to move a tank with molters down.

oh dear i was hoping i'd be able to avoid that. ok, any advice on how to go about that in the safest way possible?
Very carefully start digging down in one side of the tank. Go all the way to the bottom in like a "slice" removing the sand and carefully keep going in the other direction.

Digging in this manner usually allows you to come across caves without collapsing them. You're more likely to open the side of a cave, like the illustration (is supposed to) describes.

Gently remove any buried crabs and ISO in a tupperware container with damp moss or papertowels in the bottom.

Return them to the tank once you get it moved if they are hardened, or haven't yet molted.