Molting crab dug up by another crab

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
prettycreb

Molting crab dug up by another crab

Post by prettycreb » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:34 pm

So during the night my crab Maui went on a digging spree and uncovered my molting crab Kanani. I know she was still alive since I saw her legs move while she was still in her uncovered hole. I know it is a huge no no to dig up a molting crab so I covered her back up with sand so she could continue her molt but I am worried about her. She is an incredibly timid crab and I'm concerned that Maui uncovering her might have stressed her out. Has this ever happened to anyone else? :(

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Molting crab dug up by another crab

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:30 am

Hiya - I hate to be 5he bearer of bad news, but you want to uncover her again & put her in isolation. .. crabs create air filled chambers to moult in & we can't replicate these. If she's too weak to dig , your crab could suffocate, unfortunately.

Do you know how to set up isolation conditions?
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:40 am

YIKES!!! Definitely agree with LJJ - dig her back up immediately - hopefully she is still alive!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
prettycreb

Post by prettycreb » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:24 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Hiya - I hate to be 5he bearer of bad news, but you want to uncover her again & put her in isolation. .. crabs create air filled chambers to moult in & we can't replicate these. If she's too weak to dig , your crab could suffocate, unfortunately.

Do you know how to set up isolation conditions?
I do not know how to set up isolation but when I went to uncover her she wasn't in the spot where she was uncovered so I'm assuming she was strong enough to move to a slightly different area. When she was uncovered she was about an inch down and I put a shell over where I had covered her so I would know where she was so I know I didn't miss her. Hopefully my digging around for her didn't stress her out even more. But hey she's alive! :cheer:

LindseyW

Post by LindseyW » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Any update on your crab? I just had something similar happen. The other crab stole the molting crab's shell! I'm nervous she won't survive now. :(