Long Molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Mbailey

Long Molt

Post by Mbailey » Wed May 11, 2022 2:25 pm

Hi, my hermit crab dug down most likely to molt about 3 - 4 months ago and I haven't seen any signs of movement the whole time. Is this a concern or is it normal for them to take this long to molt? This crab is fairly new and I haven't seen her go through a molt before.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Long Molt

Post by JoeHermits » Wed May 11, 2022 3:58 pm

Three to four months is on the long side for most hermits, even jumbos. How certain are you that it never emerged and then went back down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Mbailey

Post by Mbailey » Thu May 12, 2022 5:38 pm

I guess I can't be one hundred percent certain but I made sure to remember what the substrate looked like when she dug down there and it has been completely undisturbed the whole time. Plus I put a couple small pieces of food on top of where she initially dug down and those havent been disturbed at all either. She is a jumbo though.

Topic author
Mbailey

Post by Mbailey » Thu May 12, 2022 5:39 pm

It was weird because she was uncharacteristically active for a week before she went under, but since then there hasn't been any sign of movement.

crabocado

Post by crabocado » Fri May 13, 2022 2:22 am

That sounds typical to me - at least sometimes, I've noticed my crab move around quite a bit prior to a molt. I suppose they're in a "dispersal" mood to ensure they find a good place to molt.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri May 13, 2022 9:42 pm

Once they're molting they generally won't move until immediately before they come up. I wouldn't be worried just yet.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram