Woooooo Hoooooo!!!! Another Successful Straw Molt!!!!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Woooooo Hoooooo!!!! Another Successful Straw Molt!!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:38 pm

So excited!!! One of the twins, Twizzler just came up from another molt. Twizz & his twin, Poincetta were Christmas gifts from my friend's daughter in 2006. The pair of them have totally delighted me......I can't believe how they chose similar shells, and are CONSTANTLY together (other than molts, that is!)

So....Here is my darling Twizzler, sharp black toenails & all!!!:

And here he is trying to rip a rhinestone from my fingernail! Bad Boy!!!:

He needs to change shells....the one he is wearing is now a year old & is faded & dull. But, it does make him look all the redder, so maybe he is after affect!:

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:41 pm

CONGRATS :occasion7: on the Straw molt, Kathy! This is terrific!

He is definately a good-looking hermit! What type of shell is that? :?

Topic author
wickedannabella

Post by wickedannabella » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:43 pm

Wow Kathy! He's beautiful! He's really kept his coloring so you must be doing something right! :)

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:47 pm

Congrats on the molt! He has some wonderful coloring! :D
2 Bombina Orentalis
2 Eublepharis macularius
5 Coenobita clypeatus

Mamakins

Post by Mamakins » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:17 pm

Congrats on the successful molts!!! He's so gorgeous!!
Laura: AKA MOM! Crabby since May 07
Mom to Evan 19, Trevor 16, Justin 14, Warren 12
Hermit crabs, created geckos, box turtle and Uromastyx.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:24 pm

Kilimanjaro wrote:CONGRATS :occasion7: on the Straw molt, Kathy! This is terrific!

He is definitely a good-looking hermit! What type of shell is that? :?
Believe it or not, that shell was once a polished turbo, but since he has worn it for over a year, it has seen better days. It was similar to this shell:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:07 pm

I'm so happy for you Kathy! I lost my only straw to a molt and I'm anxious to try again. You give me hope :D.

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Re: Woooooo Hoooooo!!!! Another Successful Straw Molt!!!!

Post by MudCrabDude » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:01 am

*Kathy* wrote:So excited!!! One of the twins, Twizzler just came up from another molt.
Congrats! Looks grreat! 8)
*Kathy* wrote:And here he is trying to rip a rhinestone from my fingernail! Bad Boy!!!:
:twisted: Come on, Twizzler, do it... do it!!! :twisted:

[smilie=tongue.gif] [smilie=joke.gif]

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:33 am

MudCrabDude wrote: Congrats! Looks grreat! 8)
:twisted: Come on, Twizzler, do it... do it!!! :twisted:
[smilie=tongue.gif] [smilie=joke.gif]
*sigh* More evidence that evil boys always conspire against the girls! Thank goodness I don't have braids anymore, or they'd still be yanked. :roll:

I thought it would be fun to show the twins back when I got them 12/28/06........................

Their initiation bath:

Twizzler:

Poinsettia:

For some reason unbeknownst to me, they have beeinseparablele since the day I brought them home. When I find one of them, the other is alwayclose-byby. When one of them goes down to molt, the other becomes inactive. I keep expecting them to get on the same molting schedule. This is my all-time favorite shot of the two of them!!! (You can also see how Twizzler's shell once looked.....he is the one on top.)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:23 am

Oh wow... That is a beautiful molt!

And Twizzler: ~*wags finger*~ Don't steal. lol And just because it looks like a diamond doesn't mean it is. lol

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:42 am

Very Lovely Kathy...
Great job on color as well.. The shell thing is a mystery to me as well. Couch will not move out of his cheesy shell with the forhead notch out of it above his head. I have rotated 20 or so shells his size and larger in and out.. still no taker on them

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:43 pm

*Kathy* wrote:*sigh* More evidence that evil boys always conspire against the girls! Thank goodness I don't have braids anymore, or they'd still be yanked. :roll:
:smt047 (it's a mini-schoolyard here! Wanna play some kickball? Or tetherball??? :D )

:lol:
*Kathy* wrote:For some reason unbeknownst to me, they have been inseparable since the day I brought them home. When I find one of them, the other is always close-by. When one of them goes down to molt, the other becomes inactive. I keep expecting them to get on the same molting schedule. This is my all-time favorite shot of the two of them!!! (You can also see how Twizzler's shell once looked.....he is the one on top.)
Fascinating! 8) 8) 8)

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:35 pm

Beautiful crabs! That shell, old as it may be, really brings the Straws colors out! :shock: Congrats on the successful molt!! :D
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

evre1's-mom

Post by evre1's-mom » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Congratulations, Kathy! He looks so healthy and vibrant! I am anxiously awaiting the results from my first 2 molts. It's maddening!
9 PP's and 1 Rug. RIP Willie 4-24-08, Spitz, 5-30-08 & our little friend we never named 9/08
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23401121@N04/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23357033@N05/

Rhoney

Post by Rhoney » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:30 pm

wow awesome colors, job well done :)
Currently No Hermit Crabs until I am out of college, but I have over 5 years of crabbing experience, and much advice to offer :)