Question about gel limbs

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Question about gel limbs

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi, everyone. I'm new to this and adopted a PP (Coconut) from Petco yesterday. He is missing his 2 left legs and I noticed today that he has little gel buds where his legs are missing. Is this a sure sign that a molt is coming? How much time do I have? My ISO is currently occupied with a badly injured and soon-to-be-dead crab. Should I be setting up a makeshift ISO? How do I know when it's time to move him? HELP!!!

evre1's-mom

Post by evre1's-mom » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:26 pm

Hi!
I haven't been on here for long, but I actually saw a few people post that they don't even ISO their molters. As a matter of fact, it seems about 50/50. I have 3 under in the same tank, so I guess time will tell. :)
9 PP's and 1 Rug. RIP Willie 4-24-08, Spitz, 5-30-08 & our little friend we never named 9/08
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23401121@N04/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23357033@N05/

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:55 am

I don't ISO my molters. It is my belief that transferring crabs that are pre-molt to a new tank, disrupts the process & stresses them out. If your substrate is deep enough, you should have no trouble keeping him in the main tank.

Yes, there is always a risk that they might be disturbed by another digging crab, but I have found that this rarely occurs. To me, it isn't worth the risk of stressing the crab by moving him. :)

Regarding the gel buds, crabs can carry them for some time before they acctually molt. Once the gel bud starts to drop away from the body & almost dangle, then a molt is very near (usually within a week they will dig down once this occurs.)

Good luck with your upcoming molt! The first one is always the hardest! :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:02 am

*Kathy* wrote:I don't ISO my molters. It is my belief that transferring crabs that are pre-molt to a new tank, disrupts the process & stresses them out. If your substrate is deep enough, you should have no trouble keeping him in the main tank.

Yes, there is always a risk that they might be disturbed by another digging crab, but I have found that this rarely occurs. To me, it isn't worth the risk of stressing the crab by moving him
I totally agree with Kathy on this one, if you have enough substrate in your tat they'll be fine, they don't get isolated for molting in the wild, atleast thats how I see it, so I'm sure moving them around could very well stress them out and delay/disrupt the molt. :smt028
Last edited by Guest on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
brad873

Post by brad873 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:21 am

he may not molt for a few months yet. ive just had two molts in a row, and then i moved them to ISO to prevent attack (mine surface molted).
and my jumbo, thunder, also has a gel limb. but his is kind off odd, i can see the mini leg in a clear bubble? id get a pic but he never lets me take photos for long.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:11 pm

He's under! I'm sure he's just de-stressing, but maybe he'll come back up with new legs! I can hear him burrowing around under the sand - it's so cute! :crabblush:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:25 pm

Best of luck to you and your crab!