Jumbo molter

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

Jumbo molter

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:24 am

My jumbo PP, Nemo, is down for a molt...he's been under for about a week now. Today I was trying to deep clean, when I accidentally uncovered part of the top of his shell. I just put a hidey on top of the uncovered bit, as I didn't want to cover him up and destroy his air hole. Not sure what to do now...should I just leave him? Or dig him up and ISO him?

~Tessa

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:47 am

One of my jumbos recently molted in the main tank. Ironically, she didn't dig down as far as I would have thought either, just like yours. I never did figure out exactly where she molted, but she was definitely not on the bottom. :smt102

Christa

Post by Christa » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:41 pm

As long as the hidey you put on top of him keeps him nice and dark (as in, no sunlight shining into his shell opening), he should be fine. In the past I've put food and water dishes on top of molters to keep them dark. For a jumbo though, there is always a lot more of this :tearhair1:: and this :banghead:

If he is in the dark with air to breathe then he should be OK. If however his space collapses you could try the method I outlined, using the plastic cup.

What is it with me and cups? First the cup method to get crabs to go back in their shells and now this cup method to help molters! :dontknow:

hc!
Christa
~~ The HCA ~~ the original and still the best -- ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS
Ting-Tang (Walla walla bing bang!)
Crabbing since 1974
http://www.hermit-crabs.com

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:12 pm

Thanks guys! I'll just keep that hidey on top of him, then... and I'll also turn the overhead light off to keep it extra dark for him. :)

Hopefully he'll come out looking like [smilie=molted.gif] !!

~Tessa

Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:38 am

I just had my jumbo PP, Gary, come up from molting 2 days ago!! It took him about 2 months, and he had made a hole under the water dish about 4" down. I worried and worried about him....but he came through and is absolutely beautiful!

He was up yesterday eating everything he could get his claw on, from apples, to kale, shrimp, anything! Extremely cute...and very hairy, w/ huge new spikes for toenails!

Good luck w/ your guy, and just leave him be....try to relax :)
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!

Topic author

molting

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:04 pm

how can you tell if they molted?[smilie=molted.gif]

Topic author
hermiefanatic

Re: molting

Post by hermiefanatic » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:40 am

Izy wrote:how can you tell if they molted?[smilie=molted.gif]

Signs that they molted are: fuzzy legs, sharp "toenails", new color, ect. :wink:

CrabLover- Good luck with your molter!