First crab molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
crystal

First crab molt

Post by crystal » Sat May 31, 2008 3:05 pm

So, I was cleaning my tank yesterday ( I developed a gnat issue), and I'm searching for Mr. Krabs to put him with his friends, and when I find him, he's molted, and pink little crab is looking at me. I accidentally demolished some of his exo, but it looked like he'd already eaten quite a bit. I was wondering if there's anything I could do for him right now. I've read on here honey and cuttlebone, so I'll put some of that in his iso when I get home. I thought he had just buried to destress, since I've only had the crabs since the 19th of this month. He was out for a while, and then he dug down and I didn't see him. He reburied halfway in his iso. He's one of my smaller guys so I didn't want to leave him with the bigger ones. Any advice for me would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Sat May 31, 2008 3:50 pm

First off CONGRATS on the molt!! :)

And I would keep Mr. Krabs under a hidey or maybe even is ISO since he is most likely still very vulnerable and I would keep a dish of honey and cuttlebone with him, just like you have done. And I would leave him alone and let him do his things.

CONGRATS!!
:wav:
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Topic author
crystal

Post by crystal » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:56 pm

Yes, he's inside a kritter keeper inside the main tat so he stays warm. He chowed down on his honey and cuttlebone last night. He's starting to get a little more color, too. How long does he need to stay in iso? He looks like his exo has hardened, but I just don't know how long to iso.

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:59 pm

I would leave him in there until he starts to crawl around and act normal and seems like he wants to be back with the others. Once he starts acting like he's ready you will be able to tell. Congrats again!!
:D
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Topic author
crystal

Post by crystal » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:54 pm

Ok, thanks. I don't know what normal for him is, since he pretty much went down immediately after I got him. But he was crawling around, eating and drinking, so he should be ready soon.

Topic author
crystal

Post by crystal » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:41 pm

He's back in the tat with the others now. He's so cute! I took a pic of him, I'll try to get it up later.