i picked him up!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author

i picked him up!

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:45 pm

oh no,

i just picked up my crab acty and screamed!
his legs where falling off and all the skin was coming off!
i don't know what to do! i had recently been away for 6 days but i didn't bring the crabs with me. two of them had molting signs and acty was one of them. i picked him up twice cause i thought he was dead. and i dropped him! do you think he will make it!?

p.s this is my first molt since i got them!

replys needed replys needed

CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:42 pm

Was it the crabs exo that you saw? If so, just place the crab with his exo under a cocohut & leave him be. He will come out on his own when he is ready, it may be a few days or few weeks. make sure the substrate is moist but not wet & keep an eye out that the other crabs do not disturb him.
When you picked up the crab was he on the surface or buried? When you dropped the crab, how big of a fall was it? and what did he fall onto, carpet? hardwood floor?
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

snickersnflip

Post by snickersnflip » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:59 pm

I completely agree CrabbyIrene.
Put a cocohut over him ( dont move him to the cocohut, move the cocohut to him) with his exo, and wait. The waiting is really hard, but it's really the only thing you can do.

Were the legs that fell off hollow? If so, this is his Exoskeliton, and he is pulling a molt
~~4 PPs~~ Flip (4/19/10) Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh(4/29/14)
Snickers R.I.P(4/19/10-??/??/13-14), Summersault R.I.P (11/28/10-????)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:54 am

sadly....he did not make it. the next day the smell was unbearable and i made a funeral for him. AMEN

snickersnflip

Post by snickersnflip » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Oh i'm so sorry! Sometimes these things just happen. :cry:
~~4 PPs~~ Flip (4/19/10) Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh(4/29/14)
Snickers R.I.P(4/19/10-??/??/13-14), Summersault R.I.P (11/28/10-????)