All three crabs molting at once? Help!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
sararoseey

All three crabs molting at once? Help!

Post by sararoseey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:14 am

I've had these crabs for years, and I've noticed if one is molting, one of the other crabs will molt at the same time, but never all three. But about a week ago, they all buried themselves and I haven't seen them at all, they're all medium/big. I've heard a few noises that tell me that they are alive, like a claw scratching the glass. But why did all three molt at once? Nothing changed in the tank, except I started giving them better food and the humidity and temp went up because I worked out some heater kinks. And when will they resurface? Molts always kinda freak me out alittle:)
2 PP's- Sammy is five whole years old and new baby Gaston is less than one, and one crazy maltese/poodle-shihtzu named Archy:).
http://sararoseey.deviantart.com/ check out my sculptures!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:29 am

I doubt that it has anything to do with tank! I bet if you had tracked their molts they've just cycled to the point where all of them naturally needed to at the same time.

It may have something to do with weather or moon cycles as well. (Likely they're sensing the barometric pressure.) I talk to my mother a lot about the hermit crabs and I always tell her who is currently molting. My mom says she's noticed that my crabs tend to molt on the full moons. I just had ten crabs bury themselves about a week ago, so maybe she's right!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
sararoseey

Post by sararoseey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:39 am

It WAS a full moon recently, so maybe that did contribute! I was worried but there's no smell, so I guess I've not nothing to be worried about! I can't wait to see them when they're done though, I've been feeding them healthier foods so maybe their colors have changed!
I guess I'll just keep the heat and humidity up and be patient :)
2 PP's- Sammy is five whole years old and new baby Gaston is less than one, and one crazy maltese/poodle-shihtzu named Archy:).

snickersnflip

Post by snickersnflip » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:23 am

i think it's pretty normal for them all to molt at once :) when one of my crabs goes down, they all go down! i guess they just get bored when one of thier biggies goes down, so they decide since they have nothin else to do, might as well molt! :hlol: recently, when i got Summersault a few days after that he went down for a molt/destress, and then within the next few days, flip snd snickers went too. so far, flip and snickers have both molted and are now up. summersault is still down.

i get nervous about molts too LOL
~~4 PPs~~ Flip (4/19/10) Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh(4/29/14)
Snickers R.I.P(4/19/10-??/??/13-14), Summersault R.I.P (11/28/10-????)

Topic author
sararoseey

Post by sararoseey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:33 pm

Awe! Hahah theyre lonely underground:)
I'm happy other peoples crabs do that, I was so worried hahaha:)