Molting or Dead??

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
mmrobitussin

Molting or Dead??

Post by mmrobitussin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:34 am

I have this little dilemma about whether or not my crab is dead or not. One my two PP's (roughly the size of a golf ball) has been down in the sand/dirt since about the last week of January. I'm not sure what's up with him. I had to move the tank back from home to my dorm room during that time so I thought he might be de-stressing or molting... However, he hasn't come back up yet and it's now been about 8 weeks since I last saw him... Is that normal?

I haven't smelled anything out of the ordinary coming from the dirt/sand other than the usual wet dirt/wet sand smell and no smell of rotting fish at all. However, since I'm totally new at this whole molting thing, I was unsure of what I should do. I can't even go check to see if he's alright because I'm afraid that it'll kill him. Well that and because my other crab just decided randomly to dig himself a hole and not come up so I assume he's molting as well?

So.... what should I do? Because... I'm kinda sitting here with an empty tank wondering what's going on. 8 weeks is kind of a long time for a molt for a golf ball sized crab.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:14 am

Yes and no.

If it were one of my crabs I would start worrying around the 8 week mark. The longest molt I've ever had was a jumbo that took 63 days, but from what I've read of other's experiences, that is incredibly quick. In comparison to others, my crabs molt very fast, so that's what I'm used to.

However, I've heard of many people with golf-ball sized crabs where the crabs took three months to emerge. It's not that unusual, but it can be nerve-wracking since you don't know what's going on. It would be best to wait for at least another month before assuming anything. That's a long time, but crabs can stay up to four months underground (some longer) doing their molt thing. You should continue on with caring for the tank (keeping it moist and putting out food) like normal, so that when the crab is done it'll be able to eat and drink to recharge.

Also, smells aren't the best way to judge if something went wrong. Only once did I know by smell, and that was when I had a dead crab dug out by the others. When they pass underground many times it won't even be noticed. I realize that's not comforting to hear and I'm sorry to say it, but I do think it's something you should know.

I've got my fingers crossed for you here. :) I really hope it's just a long molt! It is a good sign that your other one went down to molt as well - it shows that the tank conditions are good.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
mmrobitussin

Post by mmrobitussin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:46 am

Ah alright. I know he's wears a 1inch opening shell.... but with the shell on he's about golfball sized. I'll just wait another month before checking. Up until a few weeks ago (like 2-3) he was making his usual odd screeching noises that hermit crabs make (I've taken it as my hermit crabs are just talkative because they'll talk even when they're on opposite sides of the tank for no reason).

Waiting seems like the best bet... except that I'm going on vacation for a week and since they're both molting. I'll probably just leave some dry food, cuttlebone, and dried banana in there in case they come up.

Thanks for the help~

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:24 pm

I just had a small come up from molting after 59 days, so I'd sit tight for a bit. I understand the worry. I started to worry about that one at about 6 weeks.
Owner of 4 PPs

Topic author
mmrobitussin

Post by mmrobitussin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to worry about hermit crabs taking a long time to molt. I guess the fact that technically was moving around (the sound of moving sand... since my other one was visible and up on the top of the cage away from the sand, i assume it was the one who's supposed to be molting) up until about 2 weeks ago means he was alive. Perhaps he was just finding somewhere comfy for a month and a half.

This is highly stressful....

sararoseey

Post by sararoseey » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:28 pm

All three of mine a golf ball sized and they all molted at the same time. One came up at the one month mark, but it's been awhile and they other two haven't come up yet! It makes me so nervous but I'll just hope theyre okay:)
2 PP's- Sammy is five whole years old and new baby Gaston is less than one, and one crazy maltese/poodle-shihtzu named Archy:).
http://sararoseey.deviantart.com/ check out my sculptures!

Topic author
mmrobitussin

Post by mmrobitussin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:37 pm

I hope yours are alright too! :| Hopefully they come up soon!