need to move molter!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
hermitcrabs604

need to move molter!

Post by hermitcrabs604 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:25 am

One of my crabs had gone down for molting. I have 2 that look about the same size and color but all I know is that one of them molted yesterday. I found his exo but I didn't try to disturb the crabs. I need to move the molter to an ISO but I don't have one ready! I know my other crabs are bigger than him and stronger and when they dig in the substrate, they don't care who is in their way. I also have a question, does it need to be quiet while the crab is molting? I have a 75 gallon fish tank in the room with the crabs and it is very loud. Anyways, is it okay to move my crab into an ISO even when he just molted and is already buried into the substrate? Wow, it's just a surprise to me because he didn't give pre-molt symptoms.
Hermitcrabs604
5 PP's and 2 E's and RIP to my first crabbies.
Also 3 Cockatiels: Tweety, Sweety, and Skye
2 Finches: Pollo, and Geek
2 Yorkies: Angel, and Teddy
1 Britney Spaniel: Sam
And 13 Kois, 1 gigantic Pacu, and 2 Parrotfish

Kathy Freer

Post by Kathy Freer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Do not move the molter.Get a 2 litre pop bottle, cut the bottom off, remove the lid and push it into the substrate so that the molter and exo are inside and the other crabs can't reach him.push it down deep into the sand .cover it with a coco hut or whatever you can to give him privacy and reduce stress while he eats his exo.A small dish of fresh water in with the molter is helpful too.Leave him alone till his exo is eaten and he is walking around.
Kathy

tnt4eva

Post by tnt4eva » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Ditto to what Kathy said.