TOO LONG?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
ceniza

TOO LONG?

Post by ceniza » Tue May 10, 2011 9:18 pm

Two of my medium PP's have been dug under and I have not seen them since the week of march 30th? I kno they are not coming out becz they are in a 10 gallon by themselves and I would notice if they came up..I figured they are molting and destressing but im worried.

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Sit tight. My record is 59 days for a small PP in a 10 gallon. Crabs will teach you patience. :wink:
Owner of 4 PPs

Topic author
ceniza

Post by ceniza » Tue May 10, 2011 9:36 pm

gosh I know!! I check the tank twice a day.. I cant wait for the day I see either one of them again lol..my tank is so boring without them

CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Tue May 10, 2011 9:38 pm

For medium crabs that seems normal, I would give them another month or so, maybe more. I had a small go down to de-stress & molt and he took 10 weeks! It felt like forever! Just let them do their thing, maintain the tank conditions, and hopefully the little stinkers will be up soon :)
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:44 pm

Just a note, and this is just what I did. When I had a tank with only molters I put in dry food only, plus salt water and fresh water that I changed twice a week. The food was a collection of things from The Hermit Crab Patch, El's Shells, and Suebee - - so it was all good quality food in case they came back up. I kept a close eye daily on the water dish for any sign of sand in it which would indicate a crab back up. With just doing dry food I could leave it for about 4 days without changing it so there was less waste than a daily food change.
Owner of 4 PPs