Molting, adjusting, or dead?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
ChaseKaibutsu

Post by ChaseKaibutsu » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:59 pm

I have two hermit crabs, Hellboy and Hermin, and I'm worried about both of them. I'm probably overreacting, though.

I got Hermin on the 17th of January, 4 weeks ago, and he had been in the possession of a friend for about 6 months before I got him. He was in a painted shell way too small for him, and according to her he had never molted, which wasn't surprising because he had about 1/4 inch of aquarium rocks as turf. Once I got him and his buddy settled into a good environment, he dug down for a couple days and when he resurfaced he ate a lot and climbed all over everything. He's the vocal type and chirped a lot, which I'm assuming was in joy because he wasn't in danger and had everything he needed. Some time between the 2nd and 4th of February(almost two weeks ago) he went into his coconut hut and dug into the sand. He didn't completely cover himself, he just created a little dip, and has been there ever since. Since then I've had to throw out the coconut hut because of mold and replace it with an upside down plastic bowl with a hole cut in it. Before he went in, he stuffed himself with basically all the molting formula food in the dish, and then again when I filled it. I'm just assuming he's molting, and I'm not disturbing him at all. He sounds fine, right?

As for my other crab, Hellboy, this is where I get more worried. I got him from Petsmart on the 21st of January, and he went straight into a good nice tank. He was very active and ran around a lot. He dug up Hermin briefly during the time he was underground but left him alone mostly. I don't think they've ever really interacted. Some time in the week after that, he went underground and I haven't seen him since. I think it may have been as early as the 23rd. At one point Hermin dug down near where he was and I heard chirping so I got out of bed and found him walking away from a hole against the side of the tank and when I reached down I could feel Hellboy's shell through the sand, but I didn't want to disturb him so I filled the hole and left him be. Is he molting, adjusting to being in an adequate tank, or dead?
One small/medium PP Hermin(male) and one medium PP Hellboy(unknown).

kuza

Re: Molting, adjusting, or dead?

Post by kuza » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:46 pm

my new crabs are doing the same thing, and I believe I can see a fresh claw from a fresh molt on one of my new PP's under the tank. But the behavior sounds about the same. They are probably about to molt, or try too anyway. Let's hope you rescued them in time.

beccaviolett

Post by beccaviolett » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:50 am

Im having a similar issue too. But i cant even see my hermie joules de lorian :(
14 PP's; Shortcake, MacBeth, Itsy, Spazz, and 9 unamed babies!
7 Es; berry, sandy, lauderdale & cream
RIP; Joules De Lorian, Chum Lee, Santa, 2 unnamed Es
1 Kitty; Lynx
2 Rats; Mocha and Vanilla

ZombieSavant

Post by ZombieSavant » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:49 am

When a crab is dead you will know it right and quick. The rotting body will produce a very obvious odor much like that of rotting fish. I know it can be really creepy to see your crabs just laying there but until you smell something you should just let them be. Often death will be accompanied by a brown discharge which is quite visible.

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 pm

It sounds as if they are either destressing or molting. Unless you smell something or someone digs someone else up I'd leave them alone.
Owner of 4 PPs

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:35 pm

<<<Once I got him and his buddy settled into a good environment, he dug down for a couple days and when he resurfaced he ate a lot and climbed all over everything. He's the vocal type and chirped a lot, which I'm assuming was in joy because he wasn't in danger and had everything he needed. >>>

The collective wisdom of the most experienced crabbers here is that chirping is never a good sign, so your idea that Hermin was "chirping in joy" is probably mistaken. You don't say what happened to the "buddy" that came with him. Did the buddy die, or go to another home, while Hermin was down for that couple of days? If so, his wandering and chirping behavior after he came back up may be what's called "yearning and searching;" it is a mourning behavior.

As far as the other one being down since late January, you don't say how big they are, but if they are larges or bigger, a molt may take 2 months. Even if they are smaller, if they have had to put off molting for a while because their previous conditions did not allow for it, it may take longer than it usually would for a crab their size (and, of course, they are also less likely to survive the molt). But as the others have said, I would not worry unless you smell something rotting. Even then, check carefully first to make sure it isn't rotting food--they sometimes bury their food and it can be that you smell.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
ChaseKaibutsu

Post by ChaseKaibutsu » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:44 pm

DragonsFly wrote:<<<Once I got him and his buddy settled into a good environment, he dug down for a couple days and when he resurfaced he ate a lot and climbed all over everything. He's the vocal type and chirped a lot, which I'm assuming was in joy because he wasn't in danger and had everything he needed. >>>

The collective wisdom of the most experienced crabbers here is that chirping is never a good sign, so your idea that Hermin was "chirping in joy" is probably mistaken. You don't say what happened to the "buddy" that came with him. Did the buddy die, or go to another home, while Hermin was down for that couple of days? If so, his wandering and chirping behavior after he came back up may be what's called "yearning and searching;" it is a mourning behavior.
When I said "buddy" I was referencing Hellboy. Sorry about that.
DragonsFly wrote:As far as the other one being down since late January, you don't say how big they are, but if they are larges or bigger, a molt may take 2 months. Even if they are smaller, if they have had to put off molting for a while because their previous conditions did not allow for it, it may take longer than it usually would for a crab their size (and, of course, they are also less likely to survive the molt). But as the others have said, I would not worry unless you smell something rotting. Even then, check carefully first to make sure it isn't rotting food--they sometimes bury their food and it can be that you smell.
I'm not sure how to tell how big they are, but I think Hermin is about two to three inches(including shell). Hellboy, the one who's been down for a long time, is a little larger than Hermin but not too much.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:07 pm

If the crab who is down has a shell that is 2 to 3 inches, he could be down for 2-3 months.

Out of curiosity, can you help me understand about the time line? So you got Hermin, who had been ALONE and living with a friend, right? Then you got Hellboy. THEN Hermin dug down for a couple of days, and during that time Hellboy dug him up, right? THEN Hermin came back up and wandered around chirping for a while? Then Hellboy went down to molt. Hermin dug him up a bit, but you covered over the part of Hellboy's shell that was exposed. Then Hermin went into the hidey and has not come back out (you think he may be surface molting in there). Is this at all correct?

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
ChaseKaibutsu

Post by ChaseKaibutsu » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 pm

DragonsFly wrote:If the crab who is down has a shell that is 2 to 3 inches, he could be down for 2-3 months.

Out of curiosity, can you help me understand about the time line? So you got Hermin, who had been ALONE and living with a friend, right? Then you got Hellboy. THEN Hermin dug down for a couple of days, and during that time Hellboy dug him up, right? THEN Hermin came back up and wandered around chirping for a while? Then Hellboy went down to molt. Hermin dug him up a bit, but you covered over the part of Hellboy's shell that was exposed. Then Hermin went into the hidey and has not come back out (you think he may be surface molting in there). Is this at all correct?
That's correct! Hermin was put into my good tank setup the night before I got Hellboy, and he chirped a lot that night. When I checked on him, though, he seemed fine. I think he was lonely and looking for a friend, hence why I got Hellboy.
According to my friend, when she originally got Hermin she got another hermie with him, but that one died after a couple months.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:10 pm

He may have been distressed, just by the move, or something in the conditions perhaps. The second time he chirped was probably because Hellboy had dug him up when he was down trying to molt. Now he may be surface molting, which is not the best situation (it is better for them if they can burrow down to molt); but if you keep your tank properly warm (75-85 degrees F) and humid (around 80 percent relative humidity), and keep providing good quality food and clean sources of fresh and marine salt water (even if they aren't eating or drinking right now, you need to keep providing it because you can't be sure when they will "wake up" and need it), all you can do is wait and see how they each do with the molts. Again, if they are large, it may take as long as 2 months. Be patient; resist the urge to poke around to "check on them," and best wishes!

― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
ChaseKaibutsu

Post by ChaseKaibutsu » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:04 am

I have news! Not sure if it's good or bad.
Hellboy surfaced, and ate and drank(as far as I can tell). He's now trying to get into the shelter that Hermin is. Should I try to keep him away from Hermin? I don't have an isolation tank.

Update:
Hellboy's shell is too big to fit through the entrance to the shelter, and he seems to have lost interest.
Are there any precautions I should take to make sure he doesn't go after Hermin? Or should I just keep an eye on him?

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:08 am

Note that if Hellboy wants to get into the shelter he will just dig down and go underneath. That said, if Hermin is under the substrate he should be fine. I seem to remember you saying that Hermin did not fully dig down. Can you see him? If so, is he in a location where you can use the half soda bottle trick safely and be certain not to hit him? In case you are not familiar with that, you cut a large plastic soda bottle in half and use the top half with the cap off. Push the soda bottle down into the substrate fully surrounding the molter so that no other crab can dig in to get them. The hole in the top allows air flow.
Owner of 4 PPs

Topic author
ChaseKaibutsu

Post by ChaseKaibutsu » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:01 pm

CrabbyMom33 wrote:Note that if Hellboy wants to get into the shelter he will just dig down and go underneath. That said, if Hermin is under the substrate he should be fine. I seem to remember you saying that Hermin did not fully dig down. Can you see him? If so, is he in a location where you can use the half soda bottle trick safely and be certain not to hit him? In case you are not familiar with that, you cut a large plastic soda bottle in half and use the top half with the cap off. Push the soda bottle down into the substrate fully surrounding the molter so that no other crab can dig in to get them. The hole in the top allows air flow.
Wow that's a really neat idea. I'll keep that in mind if I think it needs it!
Hellboy got into the shelter, but he did the same thing as Hermin and dug down into a little pit and is just sitting there. I'm not sure what's going on with those two.

Topic author
ChaseKaibutsu

Post by ChaseKaibutsu » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:48 pm

I think I have a problem after all!
I lifted the shelter and found Hellboy over Hermin's overturned shell, with the little guy hiding as far into it as he could be. I picked Hermin up to get him away from Hellboy, and underneath him I found a big claw in the sand and it felt like what is probably his exoskeleton buried under him. So I moved Hellboy and I moved the shelter and put half a soda bottle over Hermin to isolate him. Is that okay?
Both of my crabs have a big claw, and the big claw I found looked just like Hermin's claw so I think maybe he dropped a claw and grew a new one back.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Does the claw have "meat" in it, or is it just empty? It isn't likely he grew a new big claw back that quickly. . . it is probably the big claw part of his exo.

― G.K. Chesterton