How can I tell if he's alive?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
bilbobaggins

How can I tell if he's alive?

Post by bilbobaggins » Sat May 12, 2012 12:39 pm

My largest crab went down about 2 months ago and I can see him on the bottom. It looks like he is just sitting next to his shell, but they way he is positioned implies at least some of his body is in the shell. There is still color in the limbs that I can see. Will a molted exo keep its color? And if so for how long? I'm pretty sure he is still alive but I just don't know. Please help me out.

whatthemath

Re: How can I tell if he's alive?

Post by whatthemath » Sat May 12, 2012 12:55 pm

Yes, a molted exo never loses its colour, from what I understand. I may be wrong. :o
If he is molting, he would have eaten his exo by now, more than likely. He could just be chillin' underground.
Two months isn't that bad. I had a tiny little guy that was down for over two months, no idea what he was doing. I wouldn't worry unless it starts to smell fishy.
"Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." - Dalai Lama

Craftycrabber

Post by Craftycrabber » Sat May 12, 2012 1:12 pm

I agree with What that you should just leave him alone unless there is a REALLY bad smell. Don't look underneath with a flashlight or anything either. He just needs dark and quiet. You will know soon enough if he does die. I have had so many molts that take a lot longer than I think it should and they eventually come up and eat and drink. :|
Don't worry about the storms of life but rather learn to dance in the rain.

sontron

Post by sontron » Sat May 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Two of my hermies went under for several months, and when they came back up, I saw that they had molted. Your crab is probably just fine. If you do start to smell something fishy, try to get it out of there in some way if no other crabs are under. I say "if no others are under" because if there are others under, one of them may be dead, or you may disturb them if they are molting. If you are sure that it is this one that is dead, and there are others down at the same time, then I don't know what you should do.
Also, try and see if it is just hiding underground when you are watching. I heard that sometimes, crabs will hide under the substrate and their owners rarely/never see them, but they come up at night to get food and water.
3 PPs, pluto, hermes, and uranus
2 Es, Poseidon and Atlas
1 Emperor scorpion, Erebus

Topic author
bilbobaggins

Post by bilbobaggins » Mon May 14, 2012 6:14 pm

I actually looked under the tank to look at him today, and I saw that he was still alive and had in fact molted. There were pieces of his exo just laying next to his shell which tells me that he had been eating it. I am relived to see that he is still alive. :clap:

Topic author
bilbobaggins

Post by bilbobaggins » Mon May 14, 2012 6:14 pm

relieved*

whatthemath

Post by whatthemath » Tue May 15, 2012 12:40 am

Horray! :D I wish mine would molt by the glass where i can see them!!
"Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." - Dalai Lama