Good source for shells?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Arkos

Good source for shells?

Post by Arkos » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:00 am

So I found this website that sells lots of shells from a 30+ shell lot to gallon bags full of shells https://www.northfloridashells.com/Gall ... NJEALw_wcB

Would this be a good source for shells? The prices seem a bit low compared to other places.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Crab dad to 5 PP's

MurkyCrabs

Re: Good source for shells?

Post by MurkyCrabs » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:12 am

I see no reason why it wouldn’t be fine, i would just suggest looking into the sight a bit more to make sure there are no reviews stating that the shells came damaged. The cheapness of it is likely coming from the fact that you aren’t as much picking the size shells you need, so just double check the sizing and make sure they’ll fit your little guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:25 am

Cool thanks, it looks like they offer a good selection and the smaller lots are roughly sized by opening, as well as being mostly turbos which is great for all my PP's

Crab dad to 5 PP's

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:25 am

Crabs can't even wear delphinium shells, so that right there is a big red flag. It's only a good deal if it isn't full of junk.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

MurkyCrabs

Post by MurkyCrabs » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:28 am

wodesorel wrote:Crabs can't even wear delphinium shells, so that right there is a big red flag. It's only a good deal if it isn't full of junk.
I didn’t even notice that- def make sure you take what wodesorel said into account!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:29 am

Alright so looking around a bit more than I did to begin with I found a section with painted shells under the hermit crab section. So I will not be ordering from here, just Naples it is.

Crab dad to 5 PP's

keeliaa

Post by keeliaa » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:12 am

wodesorel wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:25 am
Crabs can't even wear delphinium shells, so that right there is a big red flag. It's only a good deal if it isn't full of junk.
why can’t they wear them?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:21 am

keeliaa wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:12 am
why can’t they wear them?
The shape is wrong for their abdomens. Crabs need a wide sloping spiral to fit their fat little behinds, but the delphinium shells are incredibly narrow and very straight by comparison. I think I've seen all of five crabs here on the boards who tried one out in over ten years that I've been here. Pretty shells and love the color, but a waste of space and money.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

keeliaa

Post by keeliaa » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:23 am

wodesorel wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:21 am
The shape is wrong for their abdomens. Crabs need a wide sloping spiral to fit their fat little behinds, but the delphinium shells are incredibly narrow and very straight by comparison. I think I've seen all of five crabs here on the boards who tried one out in over ten years that I've been here. Pretty shells and love the color, but a waste of space and money.
ahhh okay interesting