How many different shell sizes?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Momma And Company

How many different shell sizes?

Post by Momma And Company » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:24 pm

Hello! Again I'm new here, hoping to be a new crab momma this summer and I'll probably end up with PP's since I'm in northern Ohio. I don't know the potential size of my future crabs, obviously. I'm looking to do a 75 F set up with 4 - 6 crabs.

I know PP's prefer turbo shells but I also know that they can be picky depending on personality. My first thought was to get a variety pack or 2 of turbos which seem to have at least small, medium and large but is there any way I can do better? I know this question is very open ended and speculative since again I don't know the size of my future crabs or if I'll have deaths etc. but I'd prefer, if I CAN to have as many shells/sizes as possible.

Not just so that they have a good selection in the tank but also for surprises. I thought maybe changing out the shells on the sub and in their shell shop every so often would be a good thing for them so the more the merrier.

Are variety packs the best way to go, or should I also look into getting packs of various sizes? I would boil and dry thoroughly to store.

I'm not familiar with variety packs beyond sm/med/large - I just worry that I might have some crabs who out grow a small shell but the medium shells would be too big for them, really, even if they like it. I know grabs will drop shells if they're too weak to carry it so I'd hate to have any babies who outgrow a small but yet the next size is still too big and it taxes them even if they're not sick/PPS, etc. Does that make sense?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, even if it's just to tell me I'm being a worrywort. Thank you!

Topic author
Momma And Company

Re: How many different shell sizes?

Post by Momma And Company » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:27 pm

Sorry, meant 75 G set up.. also *crabs will drop shells. I need to cut my nails, LOL.

MurkyCrabs

Post by MurkyCrabs » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:55 pm

Naplesseashell company has very good prices, I’d suggest buying a variety, but unfortunately it’s difficult to buy the shells until you know the size of your crabs. Anywhere from 1/2inch - 1inch of openings may be good depending on how big the crabs are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:13 am

Typically, a healthy crab could still carry around a shell too big. Might be a little cumbersome, but I have 2 of mine in oversized pants at the moment and they do fine. I think that’s more geared towards sick crabs or ones with PPS. A couple size variety packs would be best since you don’t know the size of your crabs yet. They do like Turbos though! I have personally ordered from Naples, Richards and Amazon. Maybe if you get the variety pack of shells, you can also get a variety pack of crabs, lol! I like the idea of different sized crabs bc they won’t need to fight over the same size shells and it’s fun to watch the small ones follow the big ones around, they watch and learn.

Welcome to the HCA and have fun with it! Like you, I fell in love with these crabby creatures!

mool

Post by mool » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:53 pm

I love variety packs for my crabs. I would suggest you buy a variety pack of small shells; one of medium shells; and one of large shells--that way you are covered for most of the popular sizes of shells.

Topic author
Momma And Company

Post by Momma And Company » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:40 pm

MurkyCrabs wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:55 pm
Naplesseashell company has very good prices, I’d suggest buying a variety, but unfortunately it’s difficult to buy the shells until you know the size of your crabs. Anywhere from 1/2inch - 1inch of openings may be good depending on how big the crabs are.

Thank you! Yes I'll be looking to adopt for a month or so, after my tank is set up. Hoping to have it set up and ready (steady) by July 1st so that would take me to August or September. If no adoptions, then I'd be looking to buy from a pet store in maybe later Aug/Sept. Maybe sooner... just want to get my crabitat stabilized for summer at least. I do have Naples shells bookmarked, plus Richards and I know there's Amazon.

I always thought growing out 4-6 in a 75 would be good, but how long it takes me to get that 6 I don't know. I also have room for a bigger tank in the future, moving my future 75 from the dining to the living room and putting a 125 in my dining room. Course this'll take some work and planning.

Sorry for the ramble, my point is - I was thinking a variety too. Even if my first crabbies can't use all of them, I do have good storage for extra shells. I could use them as decoration, in between swapping them out. I have some "fill the base" lamps that're clear glass, and also some clear glass containers so getting too many shells doesn't bother me too much.

I'll definitely look into the 1/2 - 1inch shells. Are those classed as medium or?

Topic author
Momma And Company

Post by Momma And Company » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:44 pm

crabbycasey wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:13 am
Typically, a healthy crab could still carry around a shell too big. Might be a little cumbersome, but I have 2 of mine in oversized pants at the moment and they do fine. I think that’s more geared towards sick crabs or ones with PPS. A couple size variety packs would be best since you don’t know the size of your crabs yet. They do like Turbos though! I have personally ordered from Naples, Richards and Amazon. Maybe if you get the variety pack of shells, you can also get a variety pack of crabs, lol! I like the idea of different sized crabs bc they won’t need to fight over the same size shells and it’s fun to watch the small ones follow the big ones around, they watch and learn.

Welcome to the HCA and have fun with it! Like you, I fell in love with these crabby creatures! ImageImageImage

LOL, yeah a variety pack is what I was hoping for. Again since I don't know the size of my future babies, I'd like to have as many as I can. I can always use extras as decor in my house while storing them. It's good to know that mostly the drop due to sickness,PPS - not that I wish that on any crab or owner, but just good to know that if any of mine in the future go for a too-big-shell I shouldn't panic!

Topic author
Momma And Company

Post by Momma And Company » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:48 pm

mool wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:53 pm
I love variety packs for my crabs. I would suggest you buy a variety pack of small shells; one of medium shells; and one of large shells--that way you are covered for most of the popular sizes of shells.
Thank you for replying! Yeah this is what I was learning towards, a variety of turbos for all 3 sizes.

I'm also having a hard time figuring out how to measure - not shells, I know it's straight-across. But for crabs, when I get them? Do you go by the shell size they wear, or....?

mool

Post by mool » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:58 am

That's a little tricky. I measure the opening of their current shell and estimate the fit. Is their current shell too big, just right or too small? If it's "just right" they can curl all the way into it with their big claw completely covering the opening. If too big, they will be way down into the shell. If too small the big claw will be over the rim of the shell and not completely inside.

Topic author
Momma And Company

Post by Momma And Company » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:58 pm

mool wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:58 am
That's a little tricky. I measure the opening of their current shell and estimate the fit. Is their current shell too big, just right or too small? If it's "just right" they can curl all the way into it with their big claw completely covering the opening. If too big, they will be way down into the shell. If too small the big claw will be over the rim of the shell and not completely inside.
Okay this makes sense, thank you so much!

Also I know this should probably be a separate post but I haven't searched threads for it yet so I don't want to clutter... just a general briefing, how do you go about inspecting the shells you buy?

Obviously broken/mangled are out - but do you keep ones with chips or say, a single crack, or.. ?

I know the crabbies will ultimately choose but how do I choose which are okay to put in there for THEM to choose?

mool

Post by mool » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:16 pm

Some crabs modify their shells by pinching out areas for their eye stalks, etc. I've heard that some species even modify the interior.

I tend to ignore small chips and cracks. If the interior is rough and not smooth as far down as I can fit a finger, I usually keep those out of the tank. I also skip over any shells with holes or cracks that go completely through to the interior of the shell. I call these "leakers" because water leaks out through the cracks.

If you don't have crabs who compete for shells, I guess it would be okay to toss flawed shells in and let the crabs choose or discard them. My worry is that a crab might be forced to take an inferior shell that leaks or abrades their tender abdomen because it's the only shell not claimed by another "bully" crab. This could cause a stressful situation and "toxic" environment that might contribute to or exacerbate PPS.