Question About Jumbo Shells!

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Rosepetalbed

Question About Jumbo Shells!

Post by Rosepetalbed » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:39 am

I just recently got some jumbo hermies and I have ordered shells from Naples that they seem to love they are 1 inch openings But I need an actual bigger shell not an opening how would you go about finding them? I see ones for openings with "3 openings do they not measure by shell either I don't mind buying more I just want to make sure they are the right ones and in pictures they look bigger then they really are anyway lol Thanks!
125 Gallon tank with 54 crabs ...E's PP'S,Violas,Rugs, And Indo's

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:33 am

the shell size is directly relative to the shell opening. The bigger the opening, the bigger the shell. This also relates to the type of shell. Some types have bigger openings relative to their shell size, others are reversed.

I'm sure someone can come give you some better advise. I've never had a hermie bigger than ~1/2"

annopia

Post by annopia » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:51 am

I have a crab that straddles the large/jumbo size, and I just bought him two shells from naples with 1.5" shell openings. they were rather expensive, $12, and $8 apeice. once you get up into the big shells they definatly get very pricey. what I did was email the people at naples a picture of my crab and his shell next to a ruler. he then recommened a shell opening size and some shells my crab might like.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:49 am

I love Naples, they're so accomodating :D

Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:18 pm

I thought Naples was overpriced so I went down to the gulf coast and got some jumbo shells for about 5 or 6 dollars a piece. I will probably make another trip down there during the spring or summer of next year.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:17 am

I hope this link works!!
But I have two PP's that are Large/Jumbo and I got shells
for a good price here
http://stores.ebay.com/ATLANTIC-CORAL-E ... SLLRQQtZkm

I Love Ebay so I started looking on it for some and Also I have got
some nice shells at of all places WALMART!! from the craft section,
I just boil them a few times before I let them go in the tat. to be sure I get anything off that might be on them..

Hope this helps!!!