Glass Shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Would your hermit crab move into a glass shell?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:18 pm

yes
60%
no
40%

Total votes: 20

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:01 pm

NaRnAR wrote: Over the time that you have used these shells with hermit crabs you havent had problems of the glass cracking or chipping with their everyday antics of falling and hitting the tank walls or decorations.

I know that mine actually remodel the rim of their shells, by pinching off chunks of the shell. Would this be something to worry about with these shells?
This is what I was wondering too. Very beautiful though. I would be willing to try them out on my crabs. :)

suebee

Post by suebee » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:17 pm

ok eally want to try one. It would solve the issue of me finding a 1.5 inch opening turbo maybe, how is shipping? Do you plan on giving discounts for your fellow HCA members? lol.. maybe a discount for feedback and photos? Ok i know everyone wanted to ask so i did it.. :wink:
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:06 am

I'd be willing to give them a try too. You never know what the crabs might like. :3

Topic author
rdug1

Cracking or chipping

Post by rdug1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:01 pm

NaRnAR wrote:Interesting.

Over the time that you have used these shells with hermit crabs you havent had problems of the glass cracking or chipping with their everyday antics of falling and hitting the tank walls or decorations.

I know that mine actually remodel the rim of their shells, by pinching off chunks of the shell. Would this be something to worry about with these shells?

Thanks
The only time one broke was my mistake when I dropped it on a cement floor! Have not seen any chipping or cracking from day to day use with the crab. I would suggest that any climbing that they might do just have sand below the climbing area, not objects or bowls that they would fall into. The shell will not break falling into just sand. Glass is a very strong material and when it is made in a spiral it is even stronger.

Regards,

Robert

Topic author
rdug1

Post by rdug1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:22 pm

suebee wrote:ok eally want to try one. It would solve the issue of me finding a 1.5 inch opening turbo maybe, how is shipping? Do you plan on giving discounts for your fellow HCA members? lol.. maybe a discount for feedback and photos? Ok i know everyone wanted to ask so i did it.. :wink:
Hi

Shipping can be either UPS or USPS ground. As for the discount, it might happen when I can train someone else to blow them for me! It has taken me many years to be able to perfect them so the crabs would move into them. I still make about three shell for every one that a hermit crab will move in to. It is only those that I offer for sale. They are each a work of art that I sign.
To see some of my other art you can look at www.dugrenier.com
Robert

CrabbyKev

Post by CrabbyKev » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Quite intriguing! I would love to try these shells out, but they're a bit on the pricey side.

Amazing work!

suebee

Post by suebee » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:30 pm

actually i find the prices to be about the same as some large turbos. I just cant figure out the price of shipping to NJ without actually going through a purchase.
Its an art, and the price seems right for the art work. They are lovely
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

tonycoenobita

Post by tonycoenobita » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:55 am

But carbs will eat shell , if change to glass, then they will eat glass??
Tony

Land Hermit Crab Species Introduction:
www.tonycoenobita.com/species_eng.htm

Crabbing since 2000

suebee

Post by suebee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:45 am

i would think glass is not as porous as shell and it would be to hard for the crabs to eat a piece.
rdug1 are you familiar with E crabs and the fact that they dont like the inside of a shell? I could mail you out a couple of e crab shells so you can see what i mean. If you can come up with a shell that E crabs like you would make so many crabbers happy. E crabs are the only shell fight problems i have had and I would so love to find more shells that they can use. It seems they like the shells that somehow the inside swirl has been broken out of. I think most of us with E's have at least one E crab that needs a shell and doesnt like any we offer.

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:41 pm

tonycoenobita wrote:But carbs will eat shell , if change to glass, then they will eat glass??
They eat shells to get calcium. Obviously glass has no available calcium so they'd have no reason to try to eat it. I used to have glass feeding dishes in my tanks for years and none of them were ever eaten or even got chipped or damaged in any way.
Last edited by sugarselections on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rdug1

Post by rdug1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:52 pm

suebee wrote:i would think glass is not as porous as shell and it would be to hard for the crabs to eat a piece.
rdug1 are you familiar with E crabs and the fact that they dont like the inside of a shell? I could mail you out a couple of e crab shells so you can see what i mean. If you can come up with a shell that E crabs like you would make so many crabbers happy. E crabs are the only shell fight problems i have had and I would so love to find more shells that they can use. It seems they like the shells that somehow the inside swirl has been broken out of. I think most of us with E's have at least one E crab that needs a shell and doesnt like any we offer.
Would be willing to look at an E crab shell you have, and to try to make something that the E crabs would use. Thanks for the suggestions.
As far as the crabs trying to eat the glass. This would not happen. As you might know sand use to make glass it is just fused at a high temp. So glass is a material that crabs are very familiar with except that it is in a granular form. There is a natural form of glass found on beaches called Fulgurites and it happens when lighting hits a low melting sand and will form these glass tube like structures. I wonder if some where in the world a crab is walking around with one of these Fulgurites, if you find one let me know!

Rdug1

suebee

Post by suebee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:48 pm

convo me a message with a address and illl send out some of the E shells so you can see what i mean by them missing the inside. I would love for my E's to feel secure in a shell they fit all the way in, right now they are in shells that are way to small because none of the ones i can provide feel comfortable for them. I want them to feel comfortable and safe I can not believe they are or feel safe in a shell they must stick out of and can not even hid their eyes in. Put me on the list of sold shells if you can make one like the E shells!

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:30 pm

My bunch are acrobats so these are probably not ideal for mine. I might have to get one just as a decoration for my hermit crab shelf. As far as price, I work with stained glass & it's labor intensive i can only imagine blowing glass in the shape of a shell. I think your prices are perfect...perhaps even a bit low for all of your work and attention to specific detail.
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:41 am

Sue, I'll do a joint order with you to save on shipping :D I'd like to get a few for my big Straws who seem to like to change frequently and have already tried on everything that I have in there :lol: I need a few more shells for them.

suebee

Post by suebee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:53 am

im in on the joint shipping thing. Im mailing out some e shells so he can take a look at them, that would solve yet another problem!