Hermit crabs in glass shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
rdug1

Hermit crabs in glass shells

Post by rdug1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:39 pm

View my Hermit Crabs in glass shells at www.glassshell.com
I am still trying to load the images here..

tonycoenobita

Post by tonycoenobita » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 am

no~~~~~~~

how can they take rest in a glass shell!!!!!!!!
Tony

Land Hermit Crab Species Introduction:
www.tonycoenobita.com/species_eng.htm

Crabbing since 2000

theophaneia

Post by theophaneia » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:27 pm

I thought the point of having a shell was so they could hide and feel protected (among other things) how can they feel safe in a see through shell?!?!?!
My POV
Last edited by theophaneia on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
---**---8 PP's---**---2 E's---**
PP's-Hermies(5molts):Pirate(5molts):Manny(1molt):JimiHendrix(1molt):Violet(2molt):Rocky(2molt):Thor:Mr.Smee
E's-Curacao(5molts):Lemon(6molts):

35 MOLTS altogether
RIP Purple People Eater:Agent GH:Ellie:Sky:Dags

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:31 pm

Your glass shells are beautiful and I'm very impressed with them. I hope to buy some and try offering them to my hermit crabs in the near future.

theophaneia

Post by theophaneia » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Sorry for being harsh, I didn't realize they were yours, yours...But I still disagree...
---**---8 PP's---**---2 E's---**
PP's-Hermies(5molts):Pirate(5molts):Manny(1molt):JimiHendrix(1molt):Violet(2molt):Rocky(2molt):Thor:Mr.Smee
E's-Curacao(5molts):Lemon(6molts):

35 MOLTS altogether
RIP Purple People Eater:Agent GH:Ellie:Sky:Dags

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:54 pm

mmslogic wrote:For those of you who doubt this practice, please keep it objective. Providing a glass shell to a crab allows the crab to choose to take it or not. If the crab chooses the glass shell, why not embrace it?
Very well said. No one is talking about forcing crabs to use these shells, just offering them in addition to a wide variety of "real" shells.

emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:59 pm

I like the idea of glass shells. As long as they are shaped like natural shells (inside & out) I can't imagine why the crabs would not like them.

As for privacy, we offer many hiding/dark places within our crabitats that they can hide all they want.

& I agree. If the crab chooses the shell, who are we to say it's wrong (we can only say its wrong if it could potentially be harmful to the crab, such as a painted shell).

I just wish they were a bit cheaper so I could afford a few at a time. :lol:

But they are beautiful. I wonder, is it possible to add a variety of colors to the glass?

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:42 pm

tonycoenobita wrote:no~~~~~~~

how can they take rest in a glass shell!!!!!!!!
Why do you assume that they cannot? Let us not jump the gun here just because something is different.

Keith

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm

theophaneia wrote:They are INSANELY expensive!!!
Given what goes into making them, I am not certain I can agree with the term "insanely", especially when shouted and followed by excessive exclamation points.
And they don't even look 'cool'
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
...I thought the point of having a shell was so they could hide and feel protected (among other things) how can they feel safe in a see through shell?!?!?!
Why do you assume that a visual barrier is what they seek to feel safe? Is that even part of the selection criteria for the crabs?
...Yet another shame to these poor creatures...
Such drama.
"terrarium sculptures to house living art compositions"
ART!? ART!!!! They are BEAUTIFUL just the way they are! Natural is always more amazing and artistic...
My POV
Again the drama. The man is a glass blower. He makes art. I know a woman who knits sweaters for dogs and I am sure she considers them to be an expression of her art. The dogs prolly just think they are warm. So what? The question is - is there a detrimental side to using these shells? I have yet to see one posited.

Do you pick the shells to offer you crabs? Are you sure that each shell you pick can be found in the same geographical location as the species of crab it is for? IF not, you are expressing yourself through your choices for them and that is hardly different (provided the glass shells satisfy the animals physiologic needs).

I think these shells would lend themselves to helping some of the newer crabbers understand what is going on inside that shell, and how important salt and fresh water is etc. They would be a nice research tool, for scientists and owners alike.

Keith

Topic author
rdug1

Post by rdug1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks for all your great comments! Good and Bad. Hermit crabs have evolved over the 1000's of years they have been around. New research is being done to see where the genetic link was that made the abdomen soft unlike the upper body and claws that have a strong exoskeleton. Maybe 1000's of years ago they did not have to scaveage to fine a shell to protect them becuase all the body was covered in a exoskelton, because of a genetic misprint of their DNA this could have happened. Then the 1000's of years that the crabs evolved the shape of the tail could have change to fit into a spiral shell because that is all they could find to protect themselves with. The ones that survived were the crabs that could fit into the shells of other animals. There is a huge shortage of shell in nature (read more about this click link.) http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/13/demaray.php
I have been studying what I can do to solve this problem and create a sutable home for a Hermit crab. My hand blown shells are part of this work. I am trying to create as natural an environment for them as possible.

Rdug1

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:35 pm

i like this idea
until i saw a shell change, i had always wondered what they looked like in there
i think it is a cool way to be able to see what is actually going on in the shell and how they pull in etc etc
very creative
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin

MacandHunter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by MacandHunter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:42 pm

There is a big shell shortage in the wild. And I would never buy a glass shell myself because 1 - there are cheaper alternatives and 2 - my guys bang on the glass all night long and I'd be worried it might chip off. And I don't want to see my crabs ugly butts. Extra censorship near the bottom of the shell, please. :lol:

But I think these are better than that plastic shell idea.

What do you think of using your profits to make shells for crabs in the wild?
Crabbing since 7/4/04 - 10 years!
I'm not asking salvation from you - I'm just asking to be safe for a while
make it easy - make this easy
it's not as heavy as it seems
wrapped in metal -wrapped in ivy - painted in mint ice cream

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:56 pm

mmslogic wrote:I believe they are very interesting, safe, and if the crab chooses them, so be it.
I would be considering some of these in addition to the other shells I have already. Wonderful job with the craftsmanship!

For those of you who doubt this practice, please keep it objective. Providing a glass shell to a crab allows the crab to choose to take it or not. If the crab chooses the glass shell, why not embrace it?

I don't see how this is any different then shaving a dogs hair, putting them in sweaters or costumes. At least with this practice, the crab can decide to embrace it whereas the dog doesn't have a choice in the matter.

To the artist: I say keep going, Work with the comments you received (such as modifying the shells for the Es ). Take it all in stride, you will find that there are many opinions here, most are made w/o research or are made subjectivly rather then objectivly.

Keep on Crabbin' :)
I agree with all of the above. :)

Childofthebrine

Post by Childofthebrine » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:17 pm

one thing i think we are forgetting is these are not the crabs in the wild they have no enemies in our crabitats so they really wouldn't be in danger that way and the one that are like colored or what not are hard to see into or out of so they really not that bad
There is a big shell shortage in the wild. And I would never buy a glass shell myself because 1 - there are cheaper alternatives and 2 - my guys bang on the glass all night long and I'd be worried it might chip off. And I don't want to see my crabs ugly butts. Extra censorship near the bottom of the shell, please.

But I think these are better than that plastic shell idea.

What do you think of using your profits to make shells for crabs in the wild?
Mac has a good point for why he doesn't like his crabs to use them but all crabs have different personality's
PPs-Turbo. Unknown:Sir Tyrian,Mr.Krabs RIP-Sluggo, bones, baby boy blue.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:30 am

MacandHunter wrote: And I don't want to see my crabs ugly butts. Extra censorship near the bottom of the shell, please. :lol:
I'm right there with you, Mac! :o

These are lovely creations, but I would probably prefer to display them on a shelf than on my crabs. If the crabs wore them they would always be covered with sand!