Hermit crab body change?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
pearl29mi

Hermit crab body change?

Post by pearl29mi » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:34 pm

The hermit crab I have (Spike) has been in a D shaped shell for a while. Is it true that hermit crabs bodies will "change" depending on the shape of the shell? (I would add a picture but I don't know how :lol: )
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

soilentgringa

Re: Hermit crab body change?

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:55 pm

Many hermit crabs actually modify their shells to suit their needs. I may be wrong but I am going to say "no". Since they have a hard exoskeleton and their abdomens are soft and squishy, the abdomens wouldn't be permanently altered (I don't think) from a specific shell shape. I do know that if a hermit crab molts and is still soft and anything happens to their body while soft, and they harden that their legs and even pinchers can be misshapen. So maybe yes and no.
Sorry that wasn't very helpful, just observations.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

ashleyandanimals

Post by ashleyandanimals » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:05 pm

I *think* I've read somewhere that the shape of the first shells that they have access to in the wild somewhat shape their growth and the shells they prefer later. That may be false. Or maybe I dreamed it. Haha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do my best to spoil all of my pets! :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:08 am

Ashley, I've read the same thing, but I have to wonder how true that is. Having watched really small crabs grow up, they change their opinion on what they like over time. Smaller crabs will try just about anything put in front of them, and then when they reach maturity they almost always choose turbos. Considering that native PP shells are a completely different shape, that sort of blows that theory out of the water.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

ashleyandanimals

Post by ashleyandanimals » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Hmm, true! I wonder if anything at all can change the shape of the abdomen to the point where they would only feel comfortable in a certain type of shell. And it is weird that PP's prefer turbos over native species. It's kinda odd isn't it? Weird crabbies! :crabbigsmile:
I do my best to spoil all of my pets! :)