Just a question

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
theclaw

Just a question

Post by theclaw » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:16 pm

Hello, this is just a question, the other day I was on google and saw a picture of a hermit crab In a glass shell
And was wondering if that was safe? Can that be damaging to the crab?
Like if his body was exposed to the light?

soilentgringa

Re: Just a question

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:31 am

The glass and 3D printed shells are a slightly controversial topic in the hermit crab community.

My opinions (just that-my opinion) are:

The glass shells are not entirely suitable because the crabs can see through the shells if they are transparent. If a hermit crab is attempting to hide and can see out of his shell when he thinks he is tucked in safely, it may confuse him or cause stress. This is just a theory.

Many people in the past, myself included, have wondered what would happen if a crab fell and cracked a glass shell and the glass cut the abdomen or injured the crab somehow. Well, I've had polished African turbos break in places where too much of the shell's outer layer was removed and the resulting sharp edges could have just as easily cut a crab. Calcium based natural shells can break as well.

One of the issues with the plastic shells is that they pick and modify their little homes to fit their eyestalks or abdomens (E's, for instance). People have wondered what would happen if the crab ingested the material. Well...I have a lot of plastic and silk plants in my tank and the crabs have picked them to death but never, to my knowledge, died from picking at them so I dunno about that.

The designs are cumbersome and glass can be heavy. I had a crab bury itself in a football helmet shell before it switched after an adoption. It never made it because it couldn't dig itself out after the molt. The weight and added bulk of the decorative shells are a bit much for crabs to handle, IMO.
If there was a way to 3D print shells made of calcium carbonate that would be amazing.

There is a shortage of shells in the wild and if we could purchase manufactured shells that had the same characteristics as the natural they favor (turbos for instance, or even already modified shells for E's) we wouldn't have to purchase farmed or collected shells.

These are just some of my thoughts on the use of transparent glass or 3D printed shells for hermit crabs.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:42 am

No crab has ever moved into one willingly.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:06 am

My concerns are about the inability for the crab to modify a glass shell.

And I wonder, can they "breathe" the same way a natural shell can?

Also the weight of the shell. My crabs have refused some of the heavier natural shells that otherwise would be perfect.

Back when I first started crabbing, I received a plastic shell along with a crab and other supplies I found at a yard sale. I figured it couldn't hurt to offer. No takers. But I kept it in for quite a few months before I accidentally melted the thing when boiling the extra shells. So I personally wouldn't waste my money on glass or plastic shells. But that's just me.

Topic author
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:01 am

okay thanks guys, :)

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:06 pm

wodesorel wrote:No crab has ever moved into one willingly.
This is so sad knowing that they have been forced on them. All for the amusement of humans.

Crabbing for 4 years-still obsessed! 5 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.