Please Help My Tiny Rescue Find a Shell

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Just Jay

Re: Please Help My Tiny Rescue Find a Shell

Post by Just Jay » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Let me know if you do. I have a bunch of smaller shells if I gave something similar I can send it to you. Also check the shell guid they may have a picture of the type or some thing similar. It's hard to tell when it's painted. I know I for sure have a whale or sharks eye and two types of muted. If he picks the turbo again and isn't struggling to move in it is pick him up slowly and remove the painted shell.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Is there a photo of the painted shell he is in? One of us can probably ID it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
nicolebaginski4

Post by nicolebaginski4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 pm

okay, his shell is this shape. I couldn’t really find anything similar.

https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl ... h%2Fx%2Fim
my many animal babies include lots of fish, a dog, 3 hermit crabs, and a tortoise :) .

Topic author
nicolebaginski4

Post by nicolebaginski4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:34 pm

He is now back in the turbo. should i take the painted out or leave it in?
my many animal babies include lots of fish, a dog, 3 hermit crabs, and a tortoise :) .

Topic author
nicolebaginski4

Post by nicolebaginski4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:59 pm

he went back into the painted, here is a pic of him in his painted shell posted earlier in the thread

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jko3oLnbJmk5obHo2

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:26 pm

Ok great I'll look and see if I have one similar or similar in opening type!

Topic author
nicolebaginski4

Post by nicolebaginski4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm

okay everyone! all is good. Herm chose his favorite out of the 4 green turbos of similar sizes in there and is comfortably eating. I was amazed he was totally okay with changing shells in front of me! He has always been very comfortable with people, i think he associates me and my boyfriend with being rescued in the first place or something, as he loves walking on our hands on the occasions he is out of his tank, but is more weary with others. I was able to remove the painted shell (thank god, i noticed the paint was peeling around where his body was when i was holding it) I removed some of the other shells he didn’t even remotely consider, but left the other three green turbos, a whales eye he was interested in, and two of those like rainbow candy cane tree snail shells. I can’t wait to upgrade his enclosure soon and get him a new friend! He seems to be a little wobbly in the new shell shape but I think he is comfortable enough as he’s munching away on his shrimp.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:33 pm

The shell he was in was a japonica spirata. They do like turbos better. :)

Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
nicolebaginski4

Post by nicolebaginski4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:11 pm

wodesorel wrote:The shell he was in was a japonica spirata. They do like turbos better. :)

Thank you, I'll remember for the future! He definitely seems to. I feel bad I had to take out his blue shell, as the turbo is definitely a lot heavier, but the blue was so chipped and worn (not to mention painted in the first place) that I know I made the right decision.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:50 am

Hello. I'm late to the party, but what he was actually in was a painted Baylonia Shell. Ecuadorians really favor these shells, but PP's will wear them also. Turbos are favored more. Wode wasn't incorrect, she had just identified the picture that you posted that he thought he was in.
Check out the shell guide to see:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

Wode's shell pack on her store is really a great deal - you get a lot of shells including free shipping! You can access her store by hitting the world website icon under her name :)
:)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

DarkDragon17

Post by DarkDragon17 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:29 am

I know this isn't super helpful but he is so cute! Adorable :D
2 Purple Pinchers
1 Crested gecko

Topic author
nicolebaginski4

Post by nicolebaginski4 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:44 am

HermitGirl2018 wrote:I know this isn't super helpful but he is so cute! Adorable :D
Aw thank you!