Glass Shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Would your hermit crab move into a glass shell?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:18 pm

yes
60%
no
40%

Total votes: 20

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:26 pm

Since there are some E's in my future I would get some E shells too if they could be made!

suebee

Post by suebee » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:12 pm

i mailed out some e shells and i know they arrived safely now lets hope for the E's that all works out well. Any updates?
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

suebee

Post by suebee » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:04 pm

Are these shells you made? http://www.hermy.fr/epages/187933.sf/en ... p%20Art%22
they are lovely too.
post note, he is still working on E shells
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Topic author
rdug1

Post by rdug1 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:11 am

Hi,

Yes those are my shells selling in Europe. I did make more E shells. They are getting closer but still not quite good enough yet so I will keep working on it.

Rdug1

suebee

Post by suebee » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:21 pm

i dont know if the ones i sent you have a stick part of the spiral left inside of them, of course this is not needed. Once in a while even though they get that spiral out they somehow leave a piece but it would only hurt them not help them. Im sure they try to get all of the spiral out. I have 4 Es right not that need bigger shells but will not move out of the ones that hardly cover the butt due to all the shells not suiting them. I have lots of shells but they are so picky they would rather hang out of a shell then move to one that the tail might be a bit confined.

tigermoon89

Post by tigermoon89 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:08 pm

Has anyone used these with their crabs?
If so, can you post a pic?
What crab species tend to prefer these or is there a preferance?
Crystal
"There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher

My organic hermit crab food store, Crabby Teas is now up and running! Please feel free to check out the shop. Mention the HCA and I will include a free gift! http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrabbyTeas?ref=pr_shop

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:22 am

I ordered a couple. Right off, I noticed that the openings were not very close to circular on a couple of them. They were elongate in the front. Also, the shell opening to shell length ratio seems a little off especially on the smaller shells. But I imagine that is very hard to perfect! Those are my only concerns with them. I haven't had any changes yet, and I probably won't. I just wanted to give them a try. They are very pretty!
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

suebee

Post by suebee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:54 pm

Can you show us some photos of them? I wonder if he was able to make the e shells...?

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:53 pm

Here is a pic showing the 4/5 shells which have elongated openings.
Closer pics
And here is the 5th one. The only one that has a round opening.
Here are some shells being compared to the glass ones. They are supposed to have the same size opening.
And you can also see that the ratio of the opening to the rest of the shell seems off.
This is the really nice one. As you can see here, the opening and the shell bulk is almost the same. I am really impressed with this one.
And angle on this one is deceiving. The openings are almost the same. It's just hard to hold them at the same angle with one hand. haha

So that's my take on these shells. They are very beautiful, but have room for improvement, like so many other things in this world.
Crabby since May 2009

suebee

Post by suebee » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:34 pm

they are pretty. I wonder if different exotics would like the long opening?
Most of my crabs want the round opening or D shape. Violas like long shells maybe they would like the long opening?

Thanks so much for the photos, now i see the one in his avatar also has that long opening. Id like to see some photos of crabs in the shells!

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:24 pm

These are amazing its designer fashion for hermit crabs

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:00 pm

THOSE ARE SO AMAZING!

i love those!

happy hermit

Post by happy hermit » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:30 am

my crabs seem to fall heaps on to the rocks so i wouldn't really want them to get cut or to die if the glass shell broke. even though they are so cool
13 Aussie hermit crabs, 3 dogs 2 cats and 5 fish
but hermit crabs are the best

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Thu May 06, 2010 7:55 am

So has anyone that has these put them in with the crabs and if so - are they using them? Pics if you got 'em.

Keith

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Thu May 06, 2010 11:01 am

kgbenson wrote:So has anyone that has these put them in with the crabs and if so - are they using them? Pics if you got 'em.

Keith
I put them in a few times with my crabs. The first time, they investigated for a few seconds but decided right away that they don't like them. I never saw them have any interest ever again. Maybe somebody would have more luck with a different species.

I posted pics above a few posts, but not of them in the tank. Just comparing them to natural shells of the same size.
Crabby since May 2009