Bought crabs in painted shells and...

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
dayhawk68

Bought crabs in painted shells and...

Post by dayhawk68 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:17 pm

They seem to be stressed and trying to molt (I think). Problem is I was reading on the horrors of painted shells and found out that the crabs could be glued into their shell! Is there anyway to know that for sure? And if so is there a way to help them transfer to a better shell? :cry: All three of them are in painted shells and all of them seem unhappy at the moment. Plus, I heard that they don't live very long in painted shells.
3 PPs. Pangxie (female). KaniKama (unsure). Jageun Ge or Geh(Male).

Angizme

Re: Bought crabs in painted shells and...

Post by Angizme » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:01 pm

It happens, I had one that stayed in a painted shell for a LONG time, just let them molt and they may be ready for a better shell after they come up

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Topic author
dayhawk68

Post by dayhawk68 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:45 pm

Ok thank you. But what if they're glued in and can't change shells?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:37 am

All you can do, besides provide a large selection of appropriate shells, is watch and wait. Being "glued" in, while not impossible, is not common. If a crab seems very restricted in it's movements or can't seem to come out of it's shell even to walk, post again and we'll do our best to help. Try not to worry, keep conditions right, and try not to disturb them unless absolutely necessary. Give them time to adjust to their new home and get through their first molts with you successfully. :)

Preferred shell guide: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

Topic author
dayhawk68

Post by dayhawk68 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:19 pm

CallaLily wrote:All you can do, besides provide a large selection of appropriate shells, is watch and wait. Being "glued" in, while not impossible, is not common. If a crab seems very restricted in it's movements or can't seem to come out of it's shell even to walk, post again and we'll do our best to help. Try not to worry, keep conditions right, and try not to disturb them unless absolutely necessary. Give them time to adjust to their new home and get through their first molts with you successfully. :)

Preferred shell guide: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552
Ok thank you. Good to know! :crabbigsmile: