Changing shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Changing shells

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:23 am

Hi. I'm still new to all this. I have 3 crabs. 1 has been buried for a couple of weeks. I have no idea if he's moulting. I have a selection of 4 shells, I know I need to add more. I have them laying on the floor, not in a shop. It doesn't seem like the 2 that are out at night look at the shells at all, let alone try them on. They are different types of shells. From what I read on here it seems that most crabs shell shop pretty frequently. Also, in my 15gal crabitat, there's hardly any walking around room as is, so I haven't added more shells. I'm waiting anxiously for the buried guy to come up so I can move them into a 40gal tank I just bought.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Just Jay

Re: Changing shells

Post by Just Jay » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:Hi. I'm still new to all this. I have 3 crabs. 1 has been buried for a couple of weeks. I have no idea if he's moulting. I have a selection of 4 shells, I know I need to add more. I have them laying on the floor, not in a shop. It doesn't seem like the 2 that are out at night look at the shells at all, let alone try them on. They are different types of shells. From what I read on here it seems that most crabs shell shop pretty frequently. Also, in my 15gal crabitat, there's hardly any walking around room as is, so I haven't added more shells. I'm waiting anxiously for the buried guy to come up so I can move them into a 40gal tank I just bought.
If the shells arent what they are looking for or they aren't in need they may not "shop". You can tell your shells are correct by measuring your openings. You can be as simple as tracing the opening/shell and getting one slightly larger. Or as fancy as measuring it with a ruler, fabric measuring tape or a caliper. Also giving as many options as possible. Do you know the sizes you need? I have some smaller jade turbos i do not need.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Re: Changing shells

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Just Jay wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:Hi. I'm still new to all this. I have 3 crabs. 1 has been buried for a couple of weeks. I have no idea if he's moulting. I have a selection of 4 shells, I know I need to add more. I have them laying on the floor, not in a shop. It doesn't seem like the 2 that are out at night look at the shells at all, let alone try them on. They are different types of shells. From what I read on here it seems that most crabs shell shop pretty frequently. Also, in my 15gal crabitat, there's hardly any walking around room as is, so I haven't added more shells. I'm waiting anxiously for the buried guy to come up so I can move them into a 40gal tank I just bought.
If the shells arent what they are looking for or they aren't in need they may not "shop". You can tell your shells are correct by measuring your openings. You can be as simple as tracing the opening/shell and getting one slightly larger. Or as fancy as measuring it with a ruler, fabric measuring tape or a caliper. Also giving as many options as possible. Do you know the sizes you need? I have some smaller jade turbos i do not need.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Thank you. I just went by eyeballing the size. The shells are a little bigger than what they are in. Not good? Lol
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi