Shell overcrowding?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
VenturaHermit

Shell overcrowding?

Post by VenturaHermit » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:41 am

Hi,

I’ve had a severe case of shell aggression where a crab was killed. After that horrible event, I have greatly increased the number of shells in the tank. I had 8 crabs, now 7, and had 28 shells, now 35, replaced some less preferred varieties. Is I used to keep them all in the second floor of the tank, but thought that was too crowded with the added shells, so I’ve “scattered them around the tank”. But basically it’s a huge pile over about 1/3 of the free sand space. Is this correct? Are we supposed to keep all extra shells in the habitat all the time or rotate them out? So confused! Thank you for any input.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shell overcrowding?

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:33 pm

I personally rotate my shells out, but I always make sure I have more than enough in my tanks at all times. I also, never keep my shells on the ground. I keep mine in shell shops so they stay cleaner longer - other than when my crabs decide to poop in them. ;)

I wasn't sure if you had this, Here is the shell guide: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
VenturaHermit

Re: Shell overcrowding?

Post by VenturaHermit » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:56 pm

Yes, thank you! I’ve shopped using the shell guide! What a great resource.
I just don’t understand how all these shells fit in the tank. I have a 40 gallon and it doesn’t seem like there’s enough space for 35 shells to be scattered about and leave room for water, food, wheel, hides. I’ll look at more habitat pics and see if I can figure it out.