Safe Food List from EH

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

wickedannabella

Post by wickedannabella » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:52 pm

CallaLily wrote: Is it really toxic to birds? Learn something new everyday. :)

I've fed avocado quite a bit. I've seen them eat it and I haven't noticed any problems.
It isn't the avocado so much as the SKIN of the avocado that is toxic. Sadly I learned that the hard way.
:(

Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:53 pm

Wow i did not know avocado skin was toxic. Thanks for the Info 8)
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:57 pm

wickedannabella wrote: It isn't the avocado so much as the SKIN of the avocado that is toxic. Sadly I learned that the hard way.
:(
Good to know!

Alma

Post by Alma » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:16 pm

WHat about the mushrooms? I have regular white mushrooms

. Can they really eat those, or is it a specific type of mushroDoes anyone feed them mushrooms.

Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:25 pm

I have fed them dried portabella mushrooms and they seemed to enjoy them! Not sure about reg mushrooms though.
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

Freedomwolf

Post by Freedomwolf » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:40 pm

what about rosemary?

Bekka16

Post by Bekka16 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Freedomwolf wrote:what about rosemary?
It's not good. Click here for a list of unsafe foods.

Topic author
JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Post by JediMasterThrash » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:36 pm

Here's a link to some research I did on rosemary:

"Separating Rosemary Oil from Rosemary Extract for safe lists"
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=63395&
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

Freedomwolf

Post by Freedomwolf » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:42 am

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the research Jedi Master Thrash, I really do appreciate it. I think I'll stay away from Rosemary all together, as to not risk harm to my hermies in any way.

A couple of things I saw that other people wrote and have a question on. One is mushrooms. Did anyone find out if the regular mushrooms are okay to feed the hermies? Also, if you cut the avocado in half with the skin on it or in pieces does that mean that the rest of the avocado is poisonous from cutting through the skin?

I have three more question for you guys, is yellow cornmeal good for hermies? Also, is frozen food okay for them to have? My third question is, is butternut and orange acorn squash okay for them to have?

I feel really stupid asking all these questions, I just don't like playing with little lives and I feel like I am when I "just try" some of these things....

Silver Buttons

Post by Silver Buttons » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 am

I have fed my crabs butternut squash, yellow squash, zucchini, and pumpkin (also members of the squash family) with no problems. They like regular mushrooms, too, cooked or raw, but seem to prefer the cooked ones.

I feed my crabs organic bread made from whole, sprouted grains, containing no flour, sugar, salt, or preservatives. There are not many on the market, and they are expensive, but taste quite good--that is, if you've managed to wean yourself off of bland, processed white and wheat breads. The one I bought is by Foods for Life and has a Bible verse prominently displayed on the packaging. I still only give them bread as an occasional treat, as I think they're better off with whole, raw foods, but I feel better knowing there are fewer toxins in it.
My DeviantArt account
~*~*~*~~*~*~
My 2 PPs: Beatrix & Jasper. ^_^

wingedmonster

Post by wingedmonster » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:06 pm

I haven't found anything on this site after searching and looking through the lists about liverwurst. I see that regular liver is okay, would liverwurst be okay then too? *doesn't know the difference*
I have two purple pinchers!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:19 pm

wingedmonster wrote:I haven't found anything on this site after searching and looking through the lists about liverwurst. I see that regular liver is okay, would liverwurst be okay then too? *doesn't know the difference*
check the ingredients. I'm thinking no. It's has more than just pork liver in it. There are many kinds of spices and things too.

wingedmonster

Post by wingedmonster » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:21 am

Thanks Callalily, I won't feed it to them. The nutrition label was ripped off when someone else ate it, so I won't risk it. I did feed it to them once before your reply and they didn't even go near it. Oh well ;)
I have two purple pinchers!

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:06 pm

On the safe list:
"Acorns (crush and soak overnight in salt water then drain before serving)"

Why?
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

blackorchid77

Post by blackorchid77 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:40 pm

does any one know if green tea leaves are safe?

i saw a hampster mix in the store with wonderful ingredients! i was gunna buy but noticed the green tea leaves