Safe Food List from EH

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

SoulEater

Re: Safe Food List from EH

Post by SoulEater » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:45 am

Um... Are all kinds of mushrooms safe? Any part needs to be removed or anything?

kpb777

Post by kpb777 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:08 pm

my hermies enjoy eating wax worms from the bait section at walmart.
Loving mother of 13 hermies!
3 Es
10 PPs

Alma

Post by Alma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Wax worms.... I will try to get some and try it out. They have to be preservative free right?

kpb777

Post by kpb777 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:30 pm

yeah and the wax worms at our walmart are stored in little tubs of what looks like cedar chips so you have to make sure you dont get any of the cedar in your crabitat, but yeah my babies loved it they would down about 10 was worms a day X3 I'll have to go back and get some more soon. They're only about $2 for every... I think it was 36 wax worms
3 Es
10 PPs

kpb777

Post by kpb777 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:26 pm

dead or alive they didnt really seem to care it's just when i put em in alive i had to put them in a bigger/steeper food dish so they couldn't get out and into the sand lol
3 Es
10 PPs

Alma

Post by Alma » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:35 am

Ok so I FINALLY went to go buy wax worms at Petsmart..........ewwwww gross I saw them alive and eww. :( I didn't buy them. I asked an employee that I was looking for some wax worms and that I didn't even know what they looked like. He just went "oh yeah sure I'll get you some" I eagerly followed him till he entered the employee room. I waited for him outside for a few seconds and he comes out with a little plastic container, he opens it and it looks weird inside....powder stuff that looks like hay I think.............and then.......I noticed something *gulp* it was ugly, gross and sack like. White maggoty things...crawling around... :shock: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I quickly asked him " are they alive??!!!" he goes "yeah", then me again... :shock: :shock: "ewwwwwwww, ok never mind thank you", and then him "ha ha ha ha". :oops: Oh well, at least now i know what they are. :oops:

spotsy99

Post by spotsy99 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:36 pm

That was so funny!! :hlol:
Guess you'll have to stick with freeze dried! :wink:
Denise
******************************************************************************************
1 Husband - Gary, 1 Horse - Cash, 1 Cat - Midnight,
7 PPs

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:50 am

SoulEater wrote:Um... Are all kinds of mushrooms safe? Any part needs to be removed or anything?
I would say that all mushrooms safe for human consumption are considered safe for hermie consumption. :wink:

bikepartjewelry

Post by bikepartjewelry » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:54 pm

How about gardenia flowers? I have one left on my bush outside.

And as far as maple leaves, can I just go out into my yard and get a few leaves? I have regular green maples, red maple and Japanese maple.
Jodey
12 PPs: Mega-Claw, Claw, Orzo, Lemon, Eugene, Speedy, Mo-Mo, Titan, Bob-Blueberry, Kirby, Meta-Knight...and one unnamed
3 E's: not yet named
my website: http://www.bikepartjewelry.com

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:59 pm

bikepartjewelry wrote:How about gardenia flowers? I have one left on my bush outside.

And as far as maple leaves, can I just go out into my yard and get a few leaves? I have regular green maples, red maple and Japanese maple.
Not sure about the gardenia flowers, I'll have to do some research on that one. :wink: As far as maple leaves go, you can go ahead and pick them, provided you don't spray any pesticides or chemical fertilizers too often. :)

bikepartjewelry

Post by bikepartjewelry » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks for the quick answer! :D

Do you know if Mimosa tree leaves or pods (the flowers are gone at this point) are safe?
Jodey
12 PPs: Mega-Claw, Claw, Orzo, Lemon, Eugene, Speedy, Mo-Mo, Titan, Bob-Blueberry, Kirby, Meta-Knight...and one unnamed

bikepartjewelry

Post by bikepartjewelry » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Well, at least one of the crabs chowed down on the maple leaf I put in the tank. Sat there and ate some while I watched him. :crabbigsmile:
Jodey

musicalcrabbies

Post by musicalcrabbies » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Does shrimp mean any shrimp? As in dried red or river shrimp from the pet store?

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:38 pm

musicalcrabbies wrote:Does shrimp mean any shrimp? As in dried red or river shrimp from the pet store?
Shrimp is shrimp, yep! :D

bikepartjewelry

Post by bikepartjewelry » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Last edited by bikepartjewelry on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jodey