Unsafe Food List from EH

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

mrscrabmadness

Re: Unsafe Food List from EH

Post by mrscrabmadness » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:11 am

oak bark i have used in my tank cause they love to eat it! i soaked it in salt water and baked it but must not of got it long enough cause either my bark had bugs and it infested my tank or it was a type of fruit fly, it looked more like a bug you find in woods.

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm sorry but who the heck gives crabs tobacco?????????
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!

Kaleighshermies

Post by Kaleighshermies » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:00 pm

peppermint leaves, rose blossoms, spearmint leaves, orange blossoms.... This is what i've been giving my crabs..... It says peppermint isnt safe is it toxic? also what about the others are they safe? :o
7 PP Hermies I think? Lost count tbh 5 PPs and 2 Es
Crabbing since 2004

Topic author
JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Post by JediMasterThrash » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:10 pm

The list was compiled by some experts in the field, due to research and feeding trials. Some foods may contain an insecticide element, but it might not be in high enough quantity to pose a severe risk. Some foods just tend to be avoided by crabs. They might not be toxic, they just won't be eaten. Given sufficient variety I think crabs can regulate their eating to what their bodies know is best. But the general recommendation is to avoid things on the list. Further research, experiments, and updates are always welcome.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:46 am

It's been two years that my PPs have been living with the cherry tree - eating it, sleeping on it, and molting next to it. Aside from some cases of cannibalism and the mysterious death of Edwina in the moss pit last year there have been no other unexplained deaths during that time. In fact, I think they rather like it. :)

Can we call cherry wood safe?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:05 pm

I had cherry branches in my tank for a few months with no ill effects, but I didn't know it was on the unsafe list! :shock: Mine seemed to love it, though
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

elehcim2008

Post by elehcim2008 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:26 pm

What about cooked white rice or basmati rice?

Rebecca C

Post by Rebecca C » Tue May 08, 2012 7:16 am

elehcim2008 wrote:What about cooked white rice or basmati rice?
Rice is okay as long as it is unseasoned. :wink:
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).
I make and sell all-natural, chemical and dye free hermit crab food on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHappyHermi ... p_redirect

HaydenHermie

Post by HaydenHermie » Tue May 08, 2012 8:19 pm

As far onion, I think that's on the safe side. I think the main reason why Onion would be on the bad side is because Hermits aren't exactly taken to it, and normally don't eat it. But I know some hermies who've been eating onion with no negative affects. In fact, some love it. Then again, I haven't exactly done chemical investigation in the actual veggie.

Anyways, that's my two cents. =)

Rebecca C

Re:

Post by Rebecca C » Tue May 08, 2012 8:33 pm

HaydenHermie wrote: As far onion, I think that's on the safe side. I think the main reason why Onion would be on the bad side is because Hermits aren't exactly taken to it, and normally don't eat it. But I know some hermies who've been eating onion with no negative affects. In fact, some love it. Then again, I haven't exactly done chemical investigation in the actual veggie.

Anyways, that's my two cents. =)
Here is a previous post:
wodesorel wrote:Good question! Onions are toxic to companion mammals (dogs, cats, rabbits, etc.) due to toxins that cause the oxidation of hemoglobin, essentially killing them by causing severe anemia. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=2414

Would those same chemicals affect hermit crabs since they're system is so different? And then there's the big question of if they would even eat them if they were safe, since fruits would be much more attractive due to the higher sugar content.
If that is true, it has nothing to do with them liking it or being used to it; I'm sorry to say.

Like with dogs, chocolate is poisonous to them but they love it...they have a sweet-tooth like we do and seek it out. But it is still poison to them. ;/
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Re:

Post by wodesorel » Tue May 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Rebecca C wrote: Like with dogs, chocolate is poisonous to them but they love it...they have a sweet-tooth like we do and seek it out. But it is still poison to them. ;/
I was going to point out that the only reason it's sweet is because we make it that way, but even then dogs will still get into unsweetened cocoa powder and cocoa mulch, so it has to be the smell/taste they are after. The sugar and fat in chocolate bars doesn't help them not want it though. ;) (And the whole "chocolate will kill your dog" my actually be overblown anyway - http://io9.com/5905170/could-eating-cho ... l-your-dog - it seems that, like with most anything you can eat, it's too much that will kill ya.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Rebecca C

Re: Re:

Post by Rebecca C » Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 pm

wodesorel wrote: I was going to point out that the only reason it's sweet is because we make it that way, but even then dogs will still get into unsweetened cocoa powder and cocoa mulch, so it has to be the smell/taste they are after. The sugar and fat in chocolate bars doesn't help them not want it though. ;) (And the whole "chocolate will kill your dog" my actually be overblown anyway - http://io9.com/5905170/could-eating-cho ... l-your-dog - it seems that, like with most anything you can eat, it's too much that will kill ya.)
True...unfortunately, my Bichon got a hold of a huge hershey's kiss from Easter, a few years back, and ate a good amount of it before we could get it away from her. She was sick, but luckily she threw it all up within a few hours and was okay a while after. She is still alive today.
~Ashley

Craftycrabber

Post by Craftycrabber » Sat May 12, 2012 1:47 pm

I am interested in this question too gp. i have lots of oak trees, leaves, and branches as well as bark to use but I surely don't want to chance getting little mites in my crabitats.
Don't worry about the storms of life but rather learn to dance in the rain.

Happy Crabber

Post by Happy Crabber » Tue May 29, 2012 10:42 pm

I have a huge bulb of organic fennel. I don't see it on either list. Thoughts?
AKA: hermitmommy
PP: Scieny, Hermione, Hermasaurus Rex, Kitty, Cat, Twyla, Jupiter
E: Lilly McDiggington, Thunder, Lightening, Pocito Tito, Universe, Dawn
Mom to 2 great little kids, and wife to a very understanding hubby

deesjebeesje

Post by deesjebeesje » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:16 am

Pine needles are not safe for crabs?
Hmm that could be the probleme why my crabs where going to died?
So I post it some where here that I got a probleme that my crabs died, but i put moss in my tank, that moss came from a forrest, and in that moss where alle pine needles, no crabs are died no, becauese i cleaned the tank I also trow the mos away.
I must be very carefull the next time, no moss no more from a forrest.