Unsafe Food List from EH

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

CrabbyMom33

Re: Unsafe Food List from EH

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:29 am

I think it is now unclear if pine is harmful or not. People have put pine cones in tanks and the crabs have eaten them with no problems.
Owner of 4 PPs

kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kip.rogers357 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:38 pm

I have pine cones in my tank and the crabs, specifically the PP's, love to climb and munch on them. I've also had a small pile of pine needles in there (for about two days) and they all munched away. They're all doing fine!
I don't remember where I read that pine was fine in moderation.
17 Year Crabber!
27 Hermit Crabs - 1,020gl Crabitat

Nova Caine

Post by Nova Caine » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:38 pm

I found a huge pinecone over the weekend and want to put in my Terrarium for the crabs to climb on but not sure if it's safe or not ^-^'
Figure I would check just encase.
~ Hermie(pp),Houdini(pp) Oscar(PP) + new Jumbo Goliath(straw) <3~

HeathMcCrab

Post by HeathMcCrab » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:09 pm

We are having a discussion on a thread about houseplants in the crabitat. This plant came up but it's in neither safe nor unsafe list.

Zebrina pendula, also known as Wandering Jew.

Does anyone have information?
Heath

Mom of 4 Children, 1 Golden Retriever: Boomer, 2 Cats: Casper & Juliet, 15 Hermies (PPs)

Cassafrass1999

Post by Cassafrass1999 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Nova Caine wrote:I found a huge pinecone over the weekend and want to put in my Terrarium for the crabs to climb on but not sure if it's safe or not ^-^'
Figure I would check just encase.
Pine is bad for crabs (so I think have heard), so I would not give it to them. :)
I am a proud owner of five hermies named Leopard (PP), Ribbon (PP), Kremer (PP), Queenie (PP), and Sunny (E). I have been crabbing since 6/16/11, and have been loving and learning so much about them ever since! My family and I also own a husky, a cat, and a bunch of freshwater fish.

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Cassafrass1999 wrote: Pine is bad for crabs (so I think have heard), so I would not give it to them. :)

I have heard of some people having pine cones in the tank and the crabs would eat it. Don't know if any pine cone is good, or just certain species :)
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

kip.rogers357
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by kip.rogers357 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:56 pm

kip.rogers357 wrote:I have pine cones in my tank and the crabs, specifically the PP's, love to climb and munch on them. I've also had a small pile of pine needles in there (for about two days) and they all munched away. They're all doing fine!
I don't remember where I read that pine was fine in moderation.
17 Year Crabber!
27 Hermit Crabs - 1,020gl Crabitat

Cassafrass1999

Post by Cassafrass1999 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:58 pm

All right, thanks guys! You learn something new every day! :)
I am a proud owner of five hermies named Leopard (PP), Ribbon (PP), Kremer (PP), Queenie (PP), and Sunny (E). I have been crabbing since 6/16/11, and have been loving and learning so much about them ever since! My family and I also own a husky, a cat, and a bunch of freshwater fish.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Pine cones are definitely safe! I doubt the species matters, but if in doubt watch to see if the local birds are liking them. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Cassafrass1999

Post by Cassafrass1999 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:59 pm

wodesorel wrote:Pine cones are definitely safe! I doubt the species matters, but if in doubt watch to see if the local birds are liking them. :)
Ok, thanks Wode! :)

Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Is ham safe or unsafe??

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:19 pm

I would say that ham is unsafe, mostly because of the way it is processed and the salt content.
Owner of 4 PPs