Prepping food

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Kermie16

Re: Prepping food

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:51 pm

This may be a silly question, but how do u bake the frozen egg shells and is it necessary?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Kermie16 wrote:This may be a silly question, but how do u bake the frozen egg shells and is it necessary?
Nope. You can throw egg shells straight into the tank after cracking, even. They love the albumin and will eat the shells.

mool

Post by mool » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:29 pm

I've fed egg shells raw, microwaved, and baked. Mine seem to like baked the best. In the oven, they get really crispy and toasted. After baking, I grind them up using a molcajete and put them into a dish in the tank.

I bake mine whenever I have the oven on for something else. I leave them in for about 30 minutes.

Jedi Sena

Post by Jedi Sena » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Not all sea salts are created equally. There is a wide range of quality on things labelled "sea salt." I really like to buy brands that name the source area. And you absolutely HAVE to check the label for anti-caking agents which make it free-flowing for salt shakers. You don't want any additives. Though they can take sodium out of any polluted sea, ultra-refine it to remove contaminants, and give you a glittering white product, ultra-refined products also have the beneficial trace elements removed which strips nutrition away.
__ ` , ` , ` , ` , jedi sena
(__)_ ` , ` , ` , ` crabby since 2007
(____)_ ` , ` , ` , ` http://crabotanicals.etsy.com
(______) ` , ` , ` , ` owner of Crabotanicals all-natural hermit crab food
...//( 00 )\.........................................................................

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:07 pm

Wow!! Good to know! Thanks!

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:20 pm

mlakers wrote:I let egg shells dry out on the counter for about a week and then crumble them into small bits with my fingers and store that in a small baggie. Sometimes I mix them with shrimp shells that I have also let dry and then crumbled up.
my egg shells get stinky after a couple days yours don't?

Crabbing for 4 years-still obsessed! 5 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:18 pm

Kermie16 wrote:Great! I have plenty of those :)My family and I use powdered PB2 - but looking at the ingredients, it has salt in it :/
Hey Kermie, I found some powdered pb without salt in it, it's even organic! http://www.santacruzorganic.com/products/peanut-powders My chain grocery started carrying it in their "green" aisle. The only ingredient is organic peanuts (there is also a variety with organic chia, which is the one my grocery had so I got it). I got it when I was trying to come up with a dry food mix to leave the petsitter. I'm going to try it in a smoothie--for myself--next!

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:58 am

hprmom wrote:
Kermie16 wrote:Great! I have plenty of those :)My family and I use powdered PB2 - but looking at the ingredients, it has salt in it :/
Hey Kermie, I found some powdered pb without salt in it, it's even organic! http://www.santacruzorganic.com/products/peanut-powders My chain grocery started carrying it in their "green" aisle. The only ingredient is organic peanuts (there is also a variety with organic chia, which is the one my grocery had so I got it). I got it when I was trying to come up with a dry food mix to leave the petsitter. I'm going to try it in a smoothie--for myself--next!
Actually sounds pretty good! I'll have to check my grocery store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:18 pm

Very cool! Thanks hprmom! I'm gonna check out our green section at the grocery next time
And see if I can find some :) We eat PB-2 all the time!! Love it!

Moorespride

Post by Moorespride » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Ok for food do you just dice it up small and put it in there shell dish ? Dry goods and nuts do you grind them fine or just small bits. I have read over the food list just not sure how to serve it or how much or what types they need each feeding...

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:04 pm

Moorespride wrote:Ok for food do you just dice it up small and put it in there shell dish ? Dry goods and nuts do you grind them fine or just small bits. I have read over the food list just not sure how to serve it or how much or what types they need each feeding...

I dice up a lot of my fresh foods but nothing too small, just in chunks - my vision is not that great so the bigger chunks really help me find leftovers the crabs have pulled out or hidden much easier. Also, don't underestimate how strong their pinchers are! Our littlest crabs have been able to eat everything our larger ones have been eating :) I found one of our smallest hermies had dragged a chunk of raw shrimp about half his size up the Mobani wood and sitting there eating it all by herself Image Mostly depends on your crabs. They each have preferences all of their own and also have favorite foods :) I put walnut halves in the tank and also fresh plain popcorn and they take chunks out of them without me having to break them or grind them down.