Leaf litter need cleaning?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
bmer

Leaf litter need cleaning?

Post by bmer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:00 pm

I have actually access to all the maple leaf in Canada right now.
Can I just grab a bunch of leaf from the ground and toss it in the crabitat? Like that?
Do I need to clean them first?
Pretty sure my city do not spray the tree

Ty

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Leaf litter need cleaning?

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:26 pm

You can. Id bake/nuke it in the microwave for a couple of rotations to kill off most of the bacteria. But thats me

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Double check that the trees are not sprayed. i always get mine off the tree and rinse them and dry them in a salad spinner and lay them on cutting boards to dry. But that's just how I do it cuz I'm worried about unwanted pests hitching a ride into my tat. Idk but I suppose They eat them straight off he ground in the wild lol.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:48 pm

I usually deep freeze for a month to kill off spider eggs, but that's just my arachnophobia. Otherwise they are fine to use right from outside.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
bmer

Post by bmer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks for the comments, so if I have a small Amur Maple that i know dont get spray I should be good then...

TY again

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:21 am

Make sure no pesticides, fertilizers are used. Also - make sure they do not spray for mosquitoes in your area. Then, some rinse the leaf litter off and then bake or freeze to get rid of unwanted pests :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
bmer

Post by bmer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:10 am

Look like I just got a new reason to go see my mom, she will be happy :D
She have a couple acre of forest with maple. No body go there so i know its not spray.
Do you guys know what other leaf then maple PP love?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:52 am

bmer wrote:Look like I just got a new reason to go see my mom, she will be happy :D
She have a couple acre of forest with maple. No body go there so i know its not spray.
Do you guys know what other leaf then maple PP love?

Check the safe food list :) Mine love oak & sweetgum and sycamore leaves
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Sweetgum and oak are the fav in my tank
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

coltay94

Post by coltay94 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:05 pm

I have mixed leaf litter in my substrate sand mix. I also threw in leaf litter on top. Is it okay to leave the leaf litter in or should it be cleaned from the top. I ask because I see the leaf getting black spots. Id assume this is okay for their environment as this happens in the wild and no one cleans it. Please let me know.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:41 pm

coltay94 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:05 pm
I have mixed leaf litter in my substrate sand mix. I also threw in leaf litter on top. Is it okay to leave the leaf litter in or should it be cleaned from the top. I ask because I see the leaf getting black spots. Id assume this is okay for their environment as this happens in the wild and no one cleans it. Please let me know.
How much do you put in at a time? I only put in probably less than a handful, scattered. It gets eaten within a few days. The left over decomposes.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

coltay94

Post by coltay94 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:32 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:41 pm
How much do you put in at a time? I only put in probably less than a handful, scattered. It gets eaten within a few days. The left over decomposes.
I put in 1 colander worth ( spaghetti strainer). So is it okay to let decompose then?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:00 pm

coltay94 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:32 pm
I put in 1 colander worth ( spaghetti strainer). So is it okay to let decompose then?
Depends on how big the collander is. Lol. I think if a really large amount is put in, yes it will decompose, but they'll be alot. Which may be totally fine. I have found bits of wet, decomposed leaves here and there. I leave it in the tank. But if there was a bunch I would probably remove some.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:42 am

In the wild, its entirely likely they'll come across decomposing leaves (which is a tasty snack, full of microfauna *hurl* ) and likely to even bury and moult in the same mixture. I wouldny worry too much about adding a lot of leaves, the only issue I can think of is that if you have a serious allergy to mould, the trapped moisture in the litter may be a trigger.

(The litter would also form a good microclimate to dig and hide in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies