Cook grains? Or just put package?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
niccolyas@gmail.com

Cook grains? Or just put package?

Post by niccolyas@gmail.com » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:11 pm

I am a new crab owner, but want to feed my babies the best I can. I eat Quinoa and was happily surprised it made the list. It is organic, but do I need to cook it or not? And another question is bananas, they obviously turn Brown 5 minutes after putting them in tank. Is it safe to just put them out before bed and clean up in the morning?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cook grains? Or just put package?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:13 pm

You can cook it, just make sure that its cooked safely - aka. Water is best to use distilled - or fed raw... as for banana, since they are scavengers, they probably and many do in fact notice that they prefer brown or 'ripened' foods

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:30 am

Hi! Welcome to the HCA! :butterfly::

I use both raw and cooked grains. Mine like them both ways. Try to go for organic if you can. :)

As far as bananas..also go for organic. A lot of times I just do banana chips :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:38 am

GotButterflies wrote:Hi! Welcome to the HCA! :butterfly::

I use both raw and cooked grains. Mine like them both ways. Try to go for organic if you can. :)

As far as bananas..also go for organic. A lot of times I just do banana chips :)
So if it's not organic...bananas, apples...do the pesticides get inside of skin, down to the fruit?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:

So if it's not organic...bananas, apples...do the pesticides get inside of skin, down to the fruit?
I always refer to the dirty dozen when it comes to that. Apples are one of the worst for the dirty dozen. They are known for heavy pesticides and fertilizers - Regardless - I personally always buy organic when I can. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:51 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:

I always refer to the dirty dozen when it comes to that. Apples are one of the worst for the dirty dozen. They are known for heavy pesticides and fertilizers - Regardless - I personally always buy organic when I can. :)
Ok. Good to know. Thanks.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:41 pm

My crabs loooove banana at any stage of ripeness from green to brown lol. Banana rarely goes unpinched in my tank.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P