Hemp Seed & hexane warning

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Jedi Sena

Hemp Seed & hexane warning

Post by Jedi Sena » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:44 pm

I've been doing some more research lately on protein and aggression and I thought I'd share some information I found. Hemp protein is 66% edestin (a bio-active globulin protein that is easy to digest). That is more edestin than any other plant. It also contains 9 essential amino acids, and essential fatty acids. Try to find a source of hemp that is not processed with hexane (a harsh solvent) and of course, organic is always best if you can find it.

I've created a new mix featuring the source of hemp seed I've settled on using, but I'm wondering how much demand there would be for a single-ingredient packaging, so please feel free to post feedback on that.
Last edited by Jedi Sena on Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__ ` , ` , ` , ` , jedi sena
(__)_ ` , ` , ` , ` crabby since 2007
(____)_ ` , ` , ` , ` http://crabotanicals.etsy.com
(______) ` , ` , ` , ` owner of Crabotanicals all-natural hermit crab food
...//( 00 )\.........................................................................

DarthKrab

Re: Hemp Seed & hexane warning

Post by DarthKrab » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:31 pm

Is there a connection between protein and aggression? None of my little buddies have attacked each other yet (not that I know of anyway) but I would like to know more about how I can prevent it. Been crabbing for only 3 or 4 months

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:12 pm

My primary non-crab use for hulled hemp seed is making homemade hummus. It adds protein and gives my hummus great texture (not pasty)! Now I need to check my bag and see if it is processed with hexane. How would you identify that from the packaging?

I use hulled hemp seed as a single ingredient crab food, but probably only because I happen to always have it on hand as a single ingredient.

Going to check out your store now... ;)

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:38 pm

Thanks for sharing your research!!!

I always buy single ingredient foods. When I put a mix out-I don't know what nutrients in the mix each crab may get, because they all get to the food dishes at different times and each spoonful has a different mix in it. So if there are nutrients I feel are essential and important I like to try and offer it in a single ingredient food-because then I know they are getting it. I usually feed 2 or 3 mixes, and for each food group two or three types of one ingredient food each day. I am always on the lookout for single ingredient foods which are nutrient packed that I don't have already.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:38 pm

I like single ingredient food simply because when I seperate their foods they seem to eat it better for me than they do mixes. :)

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
Jedi Sena

Post by Jedi Sena » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:53 pm

Aggression could be dietary (usually protein, sometimes calcium), but it can really be over any resource that is too limited, be it overcrowding, shell shortage, food and water shortage, etc.

The hemp I buy specifically says it doesn't use hexane solvents, otherwise I don't know how you would know but it seems to be an industry standard to use it.

That hummus sounds GOOD!
__ ` , ` , ` , ` , jedi sena
(__)_ ` , ` , ` , ` crabby since 2007
(____)_ ` , ` , ` , ` http://crabotanicals.etsy.com
(______) ` , ` , ` , ` owner of Crabotanicals all-natural hermit crab food
...//( 00 )\.........................................................................

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm

I just saw Badia Hulled Hemp seeds at walmart. Only ingredient is hemp seeds. Would it say if it had hexene to process it?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:10 pm

I use a certified organic 100% hemp vegan protine powder that I buy for myself cuz I don't eat meat and I add it to my dry mixes and the crabbies really seem to enjoy it. I offer various other protines but They don't always eat it so that way if they snub the meat portion of their dinner they still get protine in their dry food.
Last edited by Happyhermiehome on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:I just saw Badia Hulled Hemp seeds at walmart. Only ingredient is hemp seeds. Would it say if it had hexene to process it?
You could always contact the company :) Or, another option would be to buy organic.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:41 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Cherylco55 wrote:I just saw Badia Hulled Hemp seeds at walmart. Only ingredient is hemp seeds. Would it say if it had hexene to process it?
You could always contact the company :) Or, another option would be to buy organic.
From what I researched hexene is only used when extracting the oil.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi